Adaware

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, May 9, 2004.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I run adaware twice daily, it finds (I remove) this file.

Vendor:possible Browser Hijack attempt
    Category:Malware
    Object Type:RegData
    Size:-
    Location:Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "Start Page" ("about:blank")
    Last Activity:09-05-2004
    Risk LevelMedium
    Comment:possible browser hijack attempt
    Description:possible attempt to control\redirect the browser. This object referrs to a "blacklisted" site.

I have realised it does not want me to start as I always do with a blank page.

After deletion when I open IE it takes me straight to msn.com.

I am trying to work out if adaware sees my settings, about:blank as malware and that IE has by default www.msn.com as it's opening page.

Ideas?

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I think something else going on there, i've always had IE set to blank start page, never been picked up on adaware before

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

nah, that's something that's happened with one of their latest reffile updates.

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

HMMMmmm is there a way to have adaware "remember" if you OK something as a setting you have chosen for yourself? I know Spybot S&D from 5.3 will also spot possible browser hijacks and does allow you to OK changes - infact any changes it picks up - with a check box to "remember" that choice and allow it to be OK'd again next time on auto.

Maybe you only get something like this in the paid for Adaware?

5. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

I've changed nothing on my system before or after one of the latest ref file updates and suddenly I began getting this detection. I've since just added it to the ignore list.

6. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

hmmm I set the about:blank in the quicklaunch shortcut to IE...my homepage is msnbc which i like to go to periodically...

7. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

btw about:blank CAN be overwriten and have a nasty redirect by spyware. Its just a standard HTML page hidden in windows.
    Thats maybe why it picked it up.
    Hmmmmmm me be thinking lol