ACPI disabled,HELP!

K

Kafros

Hi,I had irq problems with my pc so a friend suggested that in order to free some irq's i should disable ACPI so that everything will get its own irq(or so i thought :()and everything will be ok.
But after doing that I am experiencing new problems.Mouse and keyboard keep freezing up at random and I need to reboot a couple of times per hour.I Know that i should have posted here in the first place for help but I am asking for help now.Is there a chance that having ACPI disabled is not the cause for my problem?Any help appreciated.

PS: I got a logitech keyboard without I-touch installed and a mircosoft optical mouse with Intellipoint installed.

Well, first thing is I don't know what your original problems were - what is it you were trying to fix?

Second, XP shares IRQ's by design and as a rule it does a very nice job of doing so. Installing Disabling ACPI is rarely a good idea (and you can tell your friend that). Best thing to do is re-enable ACPI and tell us what it is you are having a problem with.

Allan thanx for the reply.My original problem was that I was using the onboard sound of my board CMI8738 and it was using the same irq as Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller -2442 and Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller -2444.That resulted in crappy sound,especially when I connected to the internet with my usb adsl modem.I was trying to figure out how to change the irq for CMI8738 when a friend suggested I should try disabling ACPI.The problem with the sound is fixed now,but I am having the mouse and keyboard problems.CMI8738 now shares the same irq as my Radeon card.I haven't enabled ACPI yet because I am hoping that this mouse keyboard thing will be solved somehow.

Well, I'm not a big fan of usb modems. If your ISP offers an ethernet option I'd strongly suggest that. Same goes for onboard sound - I've seen more problems / conflicts with onboard sound chips than you would believe. Some can be fixed with bios updates, but mostly I and the folks I know suggest going to a sound card and disabling the onboard sound (yeah, I know - just letting you know what we've seen, that's all).

I do seem to remember something about the Radeon and a similar problem - I may be mistaken - but I'll try to do a little scouting around and see what I can come up with.

I recognize this isn't what you were looking to hear and it's certainly possible someone else will have some other thoughts - likely better thoughts ;) Still, that's what I know.

Thanx again for your reply allan,I switched back to ACPI enabled now and thankfully CMI8738 has now got it's own irq and the sound is ok,even when I connect to the net.As for your other advice I am thinking of buying an Audigy card and I found a friend selling an ethernet modem so I guess I'll be ok from now on.
Thanx again for the help.

ACPI Info

Hey All,
What's new? Kafros, I just wanted to let you know...
There is way to disable the ACPI setting, which is useful in solving some hardware conflicts & power management issues. Doing this is also supposed to increase your system's performance (esp. when using graphic/memory intense apps.)
I'm attaching a file with the procedures for doing this, which also gives more details about ACPI & performance.

-Later,
Dolph29

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back