accessing shares across the internet

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by MaDCeLL, Jul 8, 2002.

1. MaDCeLL

MaDCeLL Guest

i really tried to search the boards but i found no thread, so pls dont flame me !

is there a way to access share across the internet ?

or is that feature deactivated for security reasons. and can i reactivate it ?

thx !

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

You can, however it is too big of a security risk. If you opened even restricted shares to the internet it is still very easy for someone with the time and skills to hack you. I would NOT recomend opening shares to the internet. Use a more secure method like maybe a FTP server.

JJB6486

3. MaDCeLL

MaDCeLL Guest

yeah i know about the riscs. but if you know how pls tell me !

4. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

I would like to know also...

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

They are on by default an can be accessed through the Internet if you are directly connected (no router or firewall). If you have a router simply forward ports 137-139 UDP and TCP to your computer. To access a share bring up the command console.
    Type: net view <IP-address> to view the shares of an IP. Type net use x: \\<IP-address>\<share> to connect <share> to x:.

!!! WARNING !!!
    This is a VERY hazardous way to share files. Windows shares are EASY to hack! You have been warned! Normally it is a good idea to BLOCK ports 137-139 UDP and TCP in your router and/or firewall.