About Laptops ...

jan

Aspiress
I was jus wonderin a few things about notebook computers.

What is a notebook with "dedicated graphics"?

Do any of them come with PCI Express vid cards?

Whats a good size monitor to get with one that would have good pixelation to view graphics in PhotoShop?

Do any of them come with a SATA hdd with NCQ technology?

And finally is there any with these things in mind that uses a satellite conn?

I jus thought that it would be nice to get one with at least these features. :cool:

jan said:
What is a notebook with "dedicated graphics"?
Has a performance graphics chipset with it's own memory instead of using a cheap on MB graphics solution with shared common memory. Google on multimedia PCs.

jan said:
Do any of them come with PCI Express vid cards?
Most laptops don't have "tradidional" video cards, some of the bigger heavier models do. The cards are too big and run too hot and there is no room for the cooling solution. But you can get PCI-e video built into the laptop. Google pci-e in laptops.

jan said:
Whats a good size monitor to get with one that would have good pixelation to view graphics in PhotoShop?
With LCD displays you want to have a monitor with the same native resolution as the video card is putting out (1024, 1280, 1600, etc.). Going to a bigger monitor means you have to increase your graphics card resolution to compensate. If you don't the display has to interpolate (guess at what the pixles should look like). This can produce a poor image which is bad when trying to do photo or video editing. So look for the biggest monitor you can afford that your laptop video has a resolution setting for. You may have to change display resolution when switching from your laptop to your monitor and then back again before disconnecting.

jan said:
Do any of them come with a SATA hdd with NCQ technology?
Yes. Google on laptop SATA HD with NCQ.

jan said:
And finally is there any with these things in mind that uses a satellite conn?
Assuming you mean "docking station", as opposed to direct TV ro cable? Yes several laptops have optional docking tray you slide them into. The dock will have a real keyboard, mouse, monitor connected, power supply. Maybe even USB ports, etc. Google on laptop docking stations.

If you mean TV "video in" there are multimedia laptops with video in. Google on multimedia PCs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back