Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
Soundblaster Live! Value PCI
Netgear FA310TX 10/100 NIC
Maxtor 20, 30 & 80GB ATA100 HDs
Kenwood True-X 72x CD-ROM
Plextor 40/12/40 CD-RW
HiPro 300W Power Supply

Running 98SE & XP Home

When I power off my system, I have to wait anywhere from 15mins. to an hour, before it will turn on. This has happened with this MB and version 1.0 MB of the same type. Even before I added the bigger HDs. Otherwise the system works great!!!

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

My only guess is your powersuply, 300W doesn't seem to be enuf to be running the V5 fans, 2 cd drives, HD, and w/e else u got on there.

what do u mean catch23? my computers fine powering off :p its Emeritus that isn't

Well it could be related to heat build up in the case. I also agree that the power supply could be the problem. But I think its the video card cause it draws its power from the power supply to run the cooling fans as to using the voltage off the motherboard. First thing I would try is if I had an extra video card laying around install it and see what happens. If that is not an option go with a bigger power supply. And if stall a problem try getting more air flow through the case

Thanx for the quick replies!

Heat has never been an issue in the system. I can use my wife's video card to do a test. I'll see what happens. I have to wait until she is not using her system of course!

Had a similar problem the other day in the shop. Turned out to be the Athlon XP2000+ Processor. First & only time I have seen this problem. The processor finally died the death. AMD approved our RMA within hours & we have shipped it back. Should get a new one next week. I have worked on Thousands of systems and I have only seen this one time. However the symptoms were essentially the same as yours. The OS was erratic for about a week before the processor died. I would say the post that pointed out it could be a video card or Power Supply since it seems to be heat related is on the right track. You might want to try some "Freeze Spray" if you have access to some to cool down components in your system. You might be able to isolate the cause of the problem. Radio Shack used to carry it. A good electronics Parts store should have some also. You might also check the Fan Abit put on the Motherboard chip (Northbridge) & see if it is working properly. Also make sure the Orb Fan is not too big and pushing components out of the way on the MB.

Best of luck too you.

I had a problem like that with my bro's PC PIII 450. we tracked it down the the PS, we think it was a bad PS. It fixed the problem as soon as we replaced the PS with a new one (of the same Wattage)

if i remember correctly, isnt the voodoo 5 a power grubbing monster?

Either today or tomorrow I will be swapping video cards to test whether the voodoo 5 is the culprit, or at least whether the PS is bad or not.

Thanx everyone for your responses.

It took me a while before I decided to register. I am glad I did. Its a great board!!! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back