A Stupid question...

Android412

OSNN Addict
This may be a stupid question that I think I already know the answer to, but I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'm going to be upgrading my MoBo/CPU, but it costs a lot to do both at once. Is it possible to upgrade the MoBo now, stick in my current CPU, and then upgrade the CPU later. It'd be Pentium 4 1.7ghz to Pentium 4w/HT 3.2 or 3.4 if that makes a difference.

I guess it all depends on how much $ you're willing to spend.

try these sites to help you out
my fav for checking prices is

newegg.com
pricewatch.com

Depends if the new mother board can take you old cpu. Look at the makers website to find out.

Most Mobo's have a CPU range that they can handle, like my mobo can handle AMD1800+ - 2800+. Just check the specs from the manuf. website on your board.

Maveric169 said:
Most Mobo's have a CPU range that they can handle, like my mobo can handle AMD1800+ - 2800+. Just check the specs from the manuf. website on your board.

Oh, ok. I thought it just had a limit, not a range. As in it could handle "up to" say 3.4Ghz.

Thanks

You might find a few that will say that, but becareful of those. You need to check the FSB handling of the mobo in those cases. (i.e. If the mobo lowest FSB is say 266mhz and your processor only runs at 133mhz, it won't work. You might be able to try and trick it by OC'in it but I doubt it will be stable.

Android412 said:
Oh, ok. I thought it just had a limit, not a range. As in it could handle "up to" say 3.4Ghz.

Thanks

You will need to check if your pent4 is a 423 socket... ALL current motherboards only support 478 socket....
If it's a 478, I do not doubt it will work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back