A Stupid question...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Android412, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

This may be a stupid question that I think I already know the answer to, but I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'm going to be upgrading my MoBo/CPU, but it costs a lot to do both at once. Is it possible to upgrade the MoBo now, stick in my current CPU, and then upgrade the CPU later. It'd be Pentium 4 1.7ghz to Pentium 4w/HT 3.2 or 3.4 if that makes a difference.

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I guess it all depends on how much $ you're willing to spend.

try these sites to help you out
    my fav for checking prices is

newegg.com
    pricewatch.com

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Depends if the new mother board can take you old cpu. Look at the makers website to find out.

4. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Most Mobo's have a CPU range that they can handle, like my mobo can handle AMD1800+ - 2800+. Just check the specs from the manuf. website on your board.

5. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

Oh, ok. I thought it just had a limit, not a range. As in it could handle "up to" say 3.4Ghz.

Thanks

6. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

You might find a few that will say that, but becareful of those. You need to check the FSB handling of the mobo in those cases. (i.e. If the mobo lowest FSB is say 266mhz and your processor only runs at 133mhz, it won't work. You might be able to try and trick it by OC'in it but I doubt it will be stable.

7. w00kiec00kie

w00kiec00kie OSNN Addict

You will need to check if your pent4 is a 423 socket... ALL current motherboards only support 478 socket....
    If it's a 478, I do not doubt it will work.