a silent/cool pc?

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
whats the best, most efficiant way to have a silent computer but also still at a low temp.

i have been looking at fans, cases and water coolers but dont know where to start

Look for large copper fins for Heatsink/fan. A tall tower so that heat can be dispersed away from the CPU. Don't have too many fans in the machine coz that's where the noise comes from. However, without adequate cooling of your CPU, GPU and mobo you'll be heading for trouble.
Haven't tried water cooling so can't say much about that, although it seems that the water pump may make some noise or at least consume quite a but of electricity.

consider underclocking

Part of your solution will depend on the performance you have to aim for. I would respectfully suggest avoiding AMD processors, known to run hotter. Also suggest considering UNDERclocking, which could mean you are able to build a system which can extract all the heat purely by heatsink and convection. This will make a near silent PC - but you do not state if your aim is silent or quiet. You can look at the commercial model pre-made by Hush technlogies, a German outfit. They look very sleek and have been well reviewed for what they are (they also cost about twice what an equivalent performance pre-built machine might!).

Now if none of that makes you happy there is another cooling option for those with very very deep pockets.... I have forgotten the name of the system, but it uses a physics phenomenon to exchange heat by electric current and with that you just have to consider things like extra PSU load (you'll have to start getting VERY clever and expensive for a silent PSU) plus extra case room ,,, ah yes just remembered the name "Peltier Thermoelectric cooling modules" Google on that and be prepared to get shocked by the prices.

Trust me though, for a quiet PC it is kinda like the ultimate solution!

depends on your cpu to an extent as well as your cooler... ming made some decent suggestions as did mainframeguy (cept for his consideration of amd's cpu's as being "hot")

if you are building a completely new system than the new a64 processors with their CnQ automatic underclocking may well be the way to go...

a good case always helps... lian-li has a couple of quiet cases on sale (though they are over $100 :eek: ) which have ruberized feet and the front door also has rubber seals to cut out noise... plus massive fan enclosures @ the front and back to allow (iirc) one 120mm fan each...

quiet psu's help a little but if I remove my case fans my system is virtually silent... so excellent/quiet case fans certainly are important...

heh, i'd like to try some water cooling personally, it looks good for the modders... I've heard about that Peltier Thermoelectric cooling modules.... They sound good, but still in developement... and I cant find any real prices, so.... I'd just turn off your pc for now, or go along with what the others say.

no need to underclock.. try leaving clock speeds stock and turning the vcore down a few notches. If you system is stable then its fine and you have probably just cut your temps by a couple of degrees

Vetrius said:
heh, i'd like to try some water cooling personally, it looks good for the modders... I've heard about that Peltier Thermoelectric cooling modules.... They sound good, but still in developement... and I cant find any real prices, so.... I'd just turn off your pc for now, or go along with what the others say.
Still in development?? Dude, peltiers have been around for a really long time. But they don't really suit computer environments since they add tons more heat than they help cool off. So peltiers are usually only used by people who want a real cool CPU but won't mind the extra PSU and fans needed to cool the bugger.

Or are you talking about the peltier + pci controller type bundles?

Do AMD processors run at higher temps than P4's??? I will be surprised if a majority of members in this forum agree and confirm this coz I heard that P4's run much warmer than AMD's (AthlonXP).

ming said:
Do AMD processors run at higher temps than P4's??? I will be surprised if a majority of members in this forum agree and confirm this coz I heard that P4's run much warmer than AMD's (AthlonXP).
Well, they used to before, but I'm not so sure anymore. Things change quickly. ;)

I was reading in a recent computer magazine (PC Gamer I think... issue on the year of the RTS and it was talking about a major computer vendor that begins with an A (not Alienware) who has a new system using a fanless cooling system wherein the whole case is basically one big aluminum heatsink.....runs at very low temps and is completely silent...will have to post more on it when I get home tonight.

Kendrilanthis said:
I was reading in a recent computer magazine (PC Gamer I think... issue on the year of the RTS and it was talking about a major computer vendor that begins with an A (not Alienware) who has a new system using a fanless cooling system wherein the whole case is basically one big aluminum heatsink.....runs at very low temps and is completely silent...will have to post more on it when I get home tonight.
I heard about this too. Although it's quiet, the area directly surrounding the CPU would be very hot.

the case you are talking about uses no fans.. has heatpipes and weighs a ton...

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040115/

I'm not even going to bother listing the price of that baby...

img_4112.jpg

sorry about late reply, and thanx for all suggestions.

i currently have a "basic" pc case,its tall and thin and has room for one fan at the back(currently unplugged).

i have two hardrives which i am aware make a small amount of noise.

currently running:
amd athlon xp 2000+ (1.6ghz), a noisey fan is attached to this.
gforce 4 agp x8 which alsohas a fan attached.

my back fan is unplugged coz my computer is stable without it, but their is still the fan on the processor which i would definetly like to change because thats where most of the noise seems to be coming from, the graphics card fan doesnt make that much noise as its only small but still would like to replace.

i am definetly going for a newer case and will want to add a total new cooling system whether its a total new system like water cooling, or just replacing it with a more quiet fan or some other type of cooling?

help appreciated

my system has been made for silence without sacraficing performance. As for example my cpu is heaverly overclocked but is only in the mid 30deg C while producing lless than 20 db. Check out my pictures in the *post your case* section the the lounge of this forums. If you have any specific questions on building a silent pc i will be happy to help as i have spent alot of time in the area :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back