A more configurable alternative to MS Internet Connection Sharing!!!

Originally posted by Xtrecate
Everything will still work fine if you use static IPs on the client machines, while still keeping DHCP server active on the router. If you use a static IP address, I believe you must also enter the DNS manually, you cannot have static IP/Dynamic DNS. You can however have Dynamic IP/Static DNS.

okay, I saw in another thread someone mentioned nwlink, so i tried it, and bingo! instant access.

and fast too...

any caveats re nwlink?

thanks for all the help, and especially for the free router!

Hello, what if one of my network cards isn't on the form thing
the one that snot there is my olds copmuters one on windows 98

help me!!!

edit: w8, do i only need to put the 2 cards which are in the current machine??? so i guess i'm in luck... nevermind

dotbatman : ID your NIC ? how please ?

I cant get it working :(

Also I have DSL USB modem , do i run this from the BOX which is a router ,,,?

and if so how ?

Can i plug the RJ45 from the router into a switch to share to my other 5 machines ?

thanks

:)

Originally posted by zman
dotbatman : ID your NIC ? how please ?

I cant get it working :(

Also I have DSL USB modem , do i run this from the BOX which is a router ,,,?

and if so how ?

Can i plug the RJ45 from the router into a switch to share to my other 5 machines ?

thanks

:)

To identify the NIC, see if there are any markings like a logo or a name printed on it. Also, you could try (big pain in the ass) putting it into a machine which is loaded with Win 98 or 2000 or XP and see if the OS will identify it for you. I know there are utilities to automatically identify your type of card, try a Google search like "utilities + network cards + detection".

The router is the first thing connected to the outside, the Internet, after your modem. So it goes in this order: modem, router, switch/hub, computer(s). So, yes, you could have as many computers on the switch as it will hold, as long as the router has a big enough range of IPs, which it does by default for sure.

Now, you say it is USB modem. How many connectors does it have? You mean it connects to your computer by USB? Is there also an RJ45 connector on it? If there is no RJ45 connector, then I suppose your router would have to have a USB connection, but even some old machines have one, otherwise you may be out of luck, unless there is some kind of funky adaptor for RJ45 to USB (sounds crazy, but you never know).

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to be thorough.

dotbatman : thanks for the excellent help

yes the modem plugs into the wall using a RJ45 and into my box via USB .....

How does the router provide drivers for my modem ?

i think i can get a PCI version but they are damn expensive

and the box i wanted to make a router is old and sdoenst have any USB connections :(

ill keep looking in the auctions

Thanks for the help and great info

The easiest modems to use by far with this are those which plug into the computer via RJ45, like most cable modems, Cisco 67X (Though if you have one of those, you don't need a router anyways). Those usually run fairly cheap online, check eBay.

x

i wanna new tag!

You have 38 posts and yer still "XP Home"?? When do us newbies get a our own tag?

This is a grave injustice, I will be taking it to the United Nations Human Rights Tribunal, and in about 3 decades there might be hell to pay!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back