A good cooling fan?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Doom, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

At present I have an artic silent cooler. It handles up to an athlon 3200xp proccessor. It runs around 50c or just over. Can anyone recomend one that'll cool my cpu down further.

2. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

Sounds like you are in need of a whole new heatsink and not just a fan. Check out the Thermalright SP97.

3. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Why is it that most folks get woried about amd's running at 50c if you dont mind me asking? I thought they were designed to run pretty hot.

4. Coolermaster Aero 7.
    My 3000+ runs at 40ºC :)
    True, I do have 3 case fans and a dual fan PSU...

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

those people that worry about 50c are hte ones that want to overclock farther and push teh limits. overclocking will be more a little successful if you keep the core temp down. which is why the extreme overclockers use liquid nitrogen to keep their core below zero. that's only for benchmarking purposes, though. :rolleyes:

for the typical overclocker, 50c isn't bad at all. i wouldn't worry about it.

6. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Yes ........... Coolermaster Aero 7 keeps my system ( 2800 Barton,o'clocked to 2225mhz) ,down to mid 30s.

If you have a backpanel with 2 fan slots, you can train these fans directly onto the Aero 7 and even run it low @2700 rpm.

Water cooling is good but dont anyone try liquid Nitrogen.... spill that on the skin or put your foot on a spill and you might need a skin graft or worse !

7. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

I’ve just bought an aero 7+ cooler for my athlon 2800 barton. It say’s on the box that it’s silent but At full speed 3500rpm I find it anything but. Is it supposed to be silent at that speed? Mind you The temp of my cpu is just one step down even at that speed. 49c

8. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

I've got one of these puppies....works a treat! Read the reviews...its better than the non-lite (more expensive) version.

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

your temp is higher than it should be. can you tell us step-by-step how you went about installing it? what kind of case fans do you have going on? what's your system temp?

wrong link. i get "Xtend Lion Batt Ibm-thinkpad 570 E 2644 2643".

10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

link works fine for me

btw, i'd love one of those bad boys.

11. Doom, theres no point putting it at full speed, I keep mine at mid level - about 2300 rpm.

12. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Found out (partly) what is causing those temps. I got a new case around a week ago and did'nt notice that the fans at the rear and side of the pc were blowing air out not in. I've changed the rear one so it blows cool air in. What should I do with the one on the side. Should I leave it as it is blowing out or should I change it to blow cool air in? I know the one on the psu blows out so I'm not sure what to do with the side one.

13. Tweakfiend

I have 5 fans.... 2 rear to blow in ,psu fan blow out , 1 on see thru side .. blow in ,and 2 front blow out for drives.
    With a balance you can cool the interior even without front to back continuous air flow.
    I have 8 bays @ front being used , so no real f/b flow.
    Up to date cases should have the means to direct the airflow from fans directly on the Coolermaster for further cooling.
    The Aero7 does seem to get noisy on continual use @ max rpm.

14. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

umm... the rear case fans are referred to as exhaust fans. they're meant to blow hot air out. air is meant to move from the front of your case to the rear so it flows over every component and cools everything off. they way you would have your fans situated, your video card and drives aren't getting nearly as much air as they should. besides, a rear case fan sucking in already-warm air that being exhausted by the power supply right next to it isn't very good idea.

you should leave the rear fans blowing out and your side fan blowing in. where is the side fan? i mean, what is it over?

and let me refer to my last questions that went unanswered..

15. Tweakfiend

Typed too quick ........... as you were. rear fans exhaust.
    Centre one covers mid board/pci area.

16. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

17. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

well, it seems you did an adequate job of installing the heatsink. i could point out ways to do it better, but i'm just picky.
    :p

since air is entering the front/bottom of the case and moving roughly in a diagonal stream to the back/top, the aero7 should probably point towards the front or bottom to help it catch the cool air. but don't count on it making a big difference.

when you say "small fan bit", so you mean the fan speed controller that takes up a pci slot? well, it doesn't matter where you put that. it won't affect temperatures.

don't happen to have a digital camera, do you? some pics would simplify things.

18. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

well, it seems you did an adequate job of installing the heatsink. i could point out ways to do it better, but i'm just picky.

since air is entering the front/bottom of the case and moving roughly in a diagonal stream to the back/top, the aero7 should probably point towards the front or bottom to help it catch the cool air. but don't count on it making a big difference.