A fact?

damnyank said:
No Dave - I will not explain which day midnight falls on again to you!!:p

It’s nice to hear from you again, thought you had vanished and yes we have been down this midnight road before but unlike the last time notice how quickly some of the new members have identified the issue, dare I say, truth.

Is it all an illusion? Cue for song.

:) :) ;)

Benny said:
Being an old cynic you should know the "conspiracy theories" are nothing but absurd.
The word theory in that phrase can mean nothing but "An assumption based on limited information or knowledge" - The atempt to establish a fact by exploiting a lack of facts.

You could make out a substantive case that in “fact” all religions and beliefs are conspiracy theories as there are no “facts” to support them that would stand any examination. They are in essence a set of beliefs, what makes them true or not is merely the supporters each religion can muster to defend them, and nothing else. Religion was originally a conspiracy theory to those who had other or different religions, or sets of beliefs.

The whole point is that there are no facts, only beliefs, which become facts to some as more and more people are “led” to believe in them, Melon hit the nail on the head regarding measurements like time, these by definition are illusions, but again that’s all we have at the moment if you discount hope.

dave holbon said:
You could make out a substantive case that in “fact” all religions and beliefs are conspiracy theories as there are no “facts” to support them that would stand any examination. They are in essence a set of beliefs, what makes them true or not is merely the supporters each religion can muster to defend them, and nothing else. Religion was originally a conspiracy theory to those who had other or different religions, or sets of beliefs.
Never argued differently, but I don't think we want this to turn into a theological discussion, its flameble as is :p
dave holbon said:
The whole point is that there are no facts, only beliefs, which become facts to some as more and more people are “led” to believe in them, Melon hit the nail on the head regarding measurements like time, these by definition are illusions, but again that’s all we have at the moment if you discount hope.

I find it hard to agree with this. A fact is a word invented by human beings, matter of fact (no pun intended) "words" where also invented by human beings (I can go on forever with this :p ).
What I'm going at is, everything, even "exact sciences" like mathematics and physics where invented by human beings. And tho I am faund of The Allegory of the Cave, I refuse to think that mathematics and religion are simillar in any way. And its not the lack of facts that bother me, but the use of the facts.

And whilst we are on the subject of conspiracies why don’t I have one of those red triangular thingy’s with an exclamation mark inside like everyone else?

:)

dave holbon said:
And whilst we are on the subject of conspiracies why don’t I have one of those red triangular thingy’s with an exclamation mark inside like everyone else?

:)
Because you shouldn't have the need to report your own post to a Moderator. If you do have the need, I would suggest professional help. ;)

xsivforce said:
Because you shouldn't have the need to report your own post to a Moderator. If you do have the need, I would suggest professional help. ;)
rofl.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back