A Dead Quantum

jonifen

pffff...
I shoulda kept me mouth shut about how good my Quantum drive was... turned PC on bout an hour ago only to find the beloved Quantum made a kind of beep sound and wasnt recognised by the BIOS.

Basically, its dead.

I bought the original IBM (which the quantum replaced) almost 2 years ago - which would make the Quantum out of warranty with the shop I bought it from.

As Quantum HDDs was taken over by Maxtor, am I likely to get anything back on it, cuz dont the HDDs have a 3 year warranty with their manufacturer if they were bought over 6 months ago or something?

If you have the paper work take it back. If they know you at the shop take it back. It should still be covered.

ill give it a go...
i wouldnt've thought they'd change it if it was out of the year shop guarantee?

i thought you got a years warranty with the shop, and an extra 2 with the manufacturer (or thats the impression ive got by reading around here)

jus bought an 80Gb Maxtor ATA133 7200rpm 2mb Cache fer £76.

I've got a feeling that cuz I had an ATA133 (my 30gb maxtor) on an ATA133 80pin cable with an ATA100 quantum (the dead one), that it was possibly forcing the quantum to run quicker than poss?
I have no idea if that is possible... but its a thought

Both drives will run at the slowest ATA speed of the two drives. Unless you got one of those flash mobo's that facilitate individual access speeds on one cable. (think Legend, QDI utilise this.)

Generally speaking though you could have 1 drive on ATA133 (Master), and another on PIO4 (Slave) and both will access at this slower speed.

tbh, that is actually what i expected to happen... both run at slower speeds :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back