A+ Advice

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I can't see a clear place for this so its going here! So I've been putting of A+ for ages thinking I didn't need it but it seems lots of companies ask for it. I bought a book and finished the Hardware section, did some review and am ready for the software section. Here's the question. Do I have to take the tests together? If not, Should I do the hardware test now since its fresh in my mind? Once I pass that part am I considered A+ hardware certified or am I just another guy who is halfway there? Also if I can take them seperately does it cost more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BouncingSoul said:
I can't see a clear place for this so its going here! So I've been putting of A+ for ages thinking I didn't need it but it seems lots of companies ask for it. I bought a book and finished the Hardware section, did some review and am ready for the software section. Here's the question. Do I have to take the tests together? If not, Should I do the hardware test now since its fresh in my mind? Once I pass that part am I considered A+ hardware certified or am I just another guy who is halfway there? Also if I can take them seperately does it cost more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I took both of them, about a week apart. They are seperate tests (in relation to cost, I believe they are about $125 full price). The Hardware Test is actually called "A+ Core Hardware" and the Software is called "A+ Operating System Technologies".

I believe, and I could be wrong, they have to be taken within a year of eachother. And as far as the Hardware test goes, if you fail you can't re-take for 6 months. You are not officially certified until you pass both, and when that happens you get one certificate in the mail that says "CompTIA A+ Certified Professional"

Hope that helps

EDIT: I do agree that alot of companies ask for it, as I only got it about 6 months ago. I wouldn't recommend taking them together, mostly because (although I finished each in about 20 minutes) they slate you for a 2 hour testing block. Most Testing Cites won't let you do them the same day. And, also, they are VERY detail oriented, especially the Software which I found more challenging of the two.

Thanks for the info. I see CompTIA has a "deal" that expires on the 10th where you can get a voucher for $115. I'm assuming that is the cost per test so I might do it and try to get the first part done. So far I've taken a few practice tests and I'm passings but not by a lot. I keep getting hung up on ancient history questions like what kind of connection a CGA monitor has and what step in the laser printing cycle something happens on. I'll study some more and see what happens.

BouncingSoul said:
Thanks for the info. I see CompTIA has a "deal" that expires on the 10th where you can get a voucher for $115. I'm assuming that is the cost per test so I might do it and try to get the first part done. So far I've taken a few practice tests and I'm passings but not by a lot. I keep getting hung up on ancient history questions like what kind of connection a CGA monitor has and what step in the laser printing cycle something happens on. I'll study some more and see what happens.

Yeah, that is the pain. A+ is like History 101 on computers. Good luck on your exams.

How easy/difficult is A+ for someone who knows PC hardware and how to build a PC, but have little to no knowledge about Northbridge/Southbridge and all that?

ming said:
How easy/difficult is A+ for someone who knows PC hardware and how to build a PC, but have little to no knowledge about Northbridge/Southbridge and all that?

You answered your own question. A+ on the Hardware side is a history lesson. You have to know the terminilogies, the speeds, and the differences between architectures. However, obviously it does help if you have experience.

On the Software side, it's mostly commands. You have to know some old DOS cryptic stuff, the order that the system files load in, etc.

Overall, wasn't bad. As I mentioned earlier, I finished both in 15-20 mins each. I believe it was about 80 questions, all Multiple Choice

Interesting. Been thinking about taking the course on this, but have financial constraints. Need to get more info on the course itself. hehe.

ming said:
Interesting. Been thinking about taking the course on this, but have financial constraints. Need to get more info on the course itself. hehe.

I really think that a "course" would be a waste of money, especially if you have experience you say you do. The materials I used was the Exam Cram books, worked like a champ.

You can find them cheaper I am sure, but here is just an idea...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789731312/qid=1120587317/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-8615782-1594448?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

And that is enough to become an A+ Certified Professional?

ming said:
And that is enough to become an A+ Certified Professional?

Worked for me, but it varies on your experience. I have been doing A+ related stuff for about 7 years or so. But, if you want, go to a Barnes and Noble (or similar) and read the book a little. You can sit there and read for free, see if you think it would be adequate. Try some of the practice questions, etc.

I mean it doesn't have the exact questions, but it will give you what you need as far as detail-wise, etc.

That's good. Just wanted to to find out if one could qualify for the cert just from reading briefly. hehe.

ming said:
That's good. Just wanted to to find out if one could qualify for the cert just from reading briefly. hehe.

Like I said before, it's more of a history lesson. The only test of the two I found that actually required practical experience was the Software. Good luck in your testing.

heh.. Thanks. :)
I won't be doing it for a while yet... but will look through some of the stuff when I get a chance to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back