9800 Pro too expensive?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Petros, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I see a 9700 Pro on Pricewatch for a minimum price of $229 and a 9800 Pro for a minimum of $302 at the time of this posting). I'm debating on buying one of the two so I ask this: Does the 9800 Pro's performance warrant a 31% price increase?

On my budget, I can't even think about an XT! :wah:

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Is $300 too much for a video card? Hell yes!

Is the 9800 Pro 30% faster than a 9700 pro? Not really

Having bought a 9500 Pro last spring would I drop the extra $75 for the 9800 pro if I could change my mind right now. HELL YES!

I seem to be having some compatibility problems with the latest radeon drivers, my computer and the 9500 pro. Works like a dream with the older 3.4 drivers. That leaves me a little nervous about how long the 9700 PRO will be rock solid. Based on what I've seen on my system I think the 9600 PRO is going to be weak as games go "MORE" DX9 next spring.

That leaves the 9800 PRO as the option of choice. Do it! Give up coffee and cookies or cigarettes or whatever for few months to fund the extra $75.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

not really... the performance increase is around 5-10% in most cases..

correlate that and go from there..

4. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

Re: Re: 9800 Pro too expensive?

From what I've seen, not even 5%. The 9800s aren't a huge leap over the 9700s.

In reply to #1

I believe that the extra cash isn't worth it when it comes to the performance difference. Sure, the extra power doesn't hurt, only if you're willing to dish out the cash. Your call really.

5. Sazar

Re: Re: Re: 9800 Pro too expensive?

depends on the situation :)

there are some tweaks to the marchitecture that allow for improvements in some areas... not all benchmarks or applications will show the same increases however... which is why I put a variance instead of a standard figure...

6. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I would shun the collection plate and get the 9800 Pro.:D

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

yeah i would go w/ the 9800 if you can afford $75 more ... also i would run the 3.7 cats instead of the "newest" drivers for a bit from what i've seen/read.

8. Sazar

the latest drivers work fine :)

if you do have problems there is hotfix that fixes the problems people are having (incl call of duty and the all-in-wonder OGL fix)