98-XP problem

I have an USB modem, so that has nothing to do with it.
I'll give you a screenshot of my Device Manager, it may be from the Dutch version of WinXP, but it's easy enough to understand.
Basically, the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB device under 'Netwekadapters' (=networkadapters) is my modem and has nothing to do with it. The RealTek RTL8193 device is my NIC, which' drivers are up to date and everything, so that's not the problem.
Under 'Overige Apparaten' (=Remainder devices?), you'll see the PCI Simple Communications-controller, which doesn't have any drivers installed for it. I think it means that WinXP can't communicate with PCI devices without those drivers, and since my NIC is a PCI device, that would explain why it isn't working. I can't check with other PCI devices if that's true, since there aren't any (curse the day i decided to buy an A-brand computer ¬_¬).
Anyway, I have no idea where I can get those drivers, since they aren't on the WinXP cd-rom

not sure if this helps, but I had a similar problem with a friends system. He had an ancient system that he wanted XP on. Installed the OS, and had 2 problems. 1- Combo sound/modem card, and (ISA) NIC. Forced Win2k drivers for the combo, it decided to work. had "simple PCI controller" show up as no drivers. dumped the ISA NIC, added PCI. PCI NIC installed, simple pci controller was gone, then came back. (all parts of the system are now working). It appears to me that the simple pci controller is leftovers from the unsupported isa NIC. (BTW, it would seem that the only way to get rid of the damn thing is a flush and re-install, since it won't stay out when I remove it..)

1. your stuff worked with 98, so assume hardware is good (to include cables)
2. it doesn't work in XP, so first guess is drivers (XP specific for your NIC, possibility of using forced Win2k drivers) <<Try manufacturer's website>>
3. all else fails, get a new PCI NIC that is known to work with XP (MS's compatability list?)

damn. My brain just started to work.

Did you run the network setup wizard thing?

For most games to network, did you install the IPX compatible protocol?

That could have a lot to do with it.

Just because PCI simple communications controller has a ! on it does not mean the PCI bus or drivers orn anything else PCI isn't working. If pci had a problem you would get no sound, graphics or indeed just about anything else. You must remember that a lot of devices are routed through the pci buses.

From your device manager your mystery device IS A MODEM !!!!

I don't know if your motherboard has a built in one, or you have one in there any way but the vast majority of connextant modems appear as this.

I feel the most likely cause for the network not working is either drivers or configuration.

BTW, I thought you said you didn't have a USB modem !!!

I saw one of these stop a network working before. Unplug the modem and see what happens.

Try trying your Windows XP computer's Card to ONLY 10Base T.. Turn off the Autosense on it.. i had the same exact problem.. I ran the computer to that mode n it worked fine after that. Email me if you have questions.
Hope this helps.

Dre.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back