98", system crash, does not let me reload previous registry

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HellyHans, Jan 9, 2004.

1. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

Ok, well my bro screwed his computer when doing a defrag, and since then, it doesnt load in windows, and it says he must run scanreg... I run it, and it says it backup is damaged... but it doesnt give me the option to load previous registry backups... is there another way??? thx

2. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

This is for windows 98?? damn. maybe this is a sign you should install xp already ;) think I forgot pretty much everything about 98 troubleshooting.. : / sorry

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Try this
    1 Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key (or F8 or whatever) as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)
    2 Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt
    3 You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use
    4 Choose your backup and press Restore
    5 When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

4. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

Exactly what I tried, and it says... no backups available.. which is hard to believe no?? because doesnt it make 4-5 different backups??

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

you tried reinstalling over the top without a format, worked for me several times in the past.

6. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

Oh the repressed memories are coming back to me now ;) yeah I did a lot of reinstalling windows overtop of itself to fix things.