9000 somthing points on 3D Mark 2001SE

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by _DM_, Apr 27, 2003.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Wtf is up with this? Since I switched from a Geforce 2 MX to a Radeon 9700 pro I'v been gettin these scores. Wtf is wrong with this? I cleared the Geforces in the regedit file. How can I reach to 10,000 points or more? I got a 1.6 Ghz P4, 256 mg DDR Ram, and a Radeon 9700pro. Whats causing this problem?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

other people with a p4 1.6ghz and 9700pro get in the 9000's, too. only a select couple get above 10000... and they've likely got their 9700pro overclocked pretty well and have agressive timings on their memory... or simply faster memory.

you're pretty good off with your current setup. a cpu upgrade would really give you results now, though. that's your bottleneck.

3. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Well, firstly correct the 3dmark link in your sig. At the moment it is http://http//service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6166092

Is your processor is the P4 1.6A? (Northwood version with 512k L2 cache). If not, that will be your problem. If you do have the 1.6A, it is a very good overclocking chip, 1ghz+ overclocks are not unheard of, so get started ;) Oh wait, intel mobo, maybe not then...

It is usually best to reinstall windows after any major hardware upgrade and I think if you do this you will see the best performance from your card...

4. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

man I want to get started but my Dell comp has put some sort of lock on overclocking in the bios. Is there a way to bypass this?

5. jumpy

jumpy Guest

No way around this although you can try either softFSB or cpuFSB, which are software overclocking programs. Do a search on the forum, I've talked about them many times...

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i have yet to see those types of programs work well. especially on locked-bios systems like dells. but good luck anyway. :)

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

your system is designed to meet certain standards... oc'ing it is likely going to void your warranty :)

enjoy the GAMES... don't rely on 3dmark so much :)

its a nice guide but not the do all/end all of it :)

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

or try the 2.4ghz upgrade like i mentioned in your other thread. :)

9. Sazar

btw the thing 'causing' the problem is your 100mhz fsb :)

if you can kick up the fsb your score will rise nicely...

10. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

HOW DO I INCREASE MY FSB?! Its in the Bios area right?

11. Sazar

yes... unless it is locked like in some systems :)

note : increasing fsb == overclocking.. make sure you know what you are doing i.e. in terms of your systems tolerances before doing so...

12. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Not on your system. Dell and other companies like HP and IBM put a custom bios in their systems which don't allow you to change much. Its a way of reducing their support costs from people who stuff something up in there...