7950 ??

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by trainmaster77, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. trainmaster77

    trainmaster77 Moderator Political User Folding Team

    St. Louis/Chicago
    i've been away for quite a while again and am in the market for a video card or video cards.

    I see there is a 7950 that seems to rock. I am assuming that BFG probably makes the better of the bunch, but again i am wondering if it is worth waiting a bit for more HDMI capable vid cards.

    Any suggestions?

    I just have a feeling with the AMD/ATI merger that something of tremendous strength will be released soon alongside the release of Vista, but who knows ... i do realize that video cards are nearly obsolete in 8 months, but there is quickly coming a time now where 100fps is more than fast enough.
  2. Electronic Punk

    Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Both ATI and NVIDIA tend to refresh every 6 months or so, maybe there is something already on its way :)
  3. LeeJend

    LeeJend Moderator

    Fort Worth, TX
    You can wait for something new and exciting forever.

    If you need a new top end card now get the 7950. You can always drop a Tuner card into the rig for $60 whenever you want.

    I don't beleive in tying top end gaming performance to multimedia. I got burned by that once. The price premium is too high, you throw away the multimedia when you upgrade, to squeeze everything onto one card something has to suffer ((like cooling clock speed, expansion to crossfire).

    BTW are you talking dual 7950 (quad SLI) or single? Not all older MB's will support dual 7950's.
  4. ShepsCrook

    ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

    Depending on what you have, you should wait. I'd at least pick up something with DX-10 when it's released. Right now I'm riding out my 7800GTX unless I can manage to sell it off for enough $$$ so I could pick up a 7900GT or whatnot. I've got 2 spare 9800Pros sitting here also to help break the price difference.
  5. David_L6

    David_L6 OSNN Addict


    I agree...... Depends on current card whether or not to upgrade now. I too am "riding out my 7800 GTX". Will see what the next generation of cards are like before I shell out another $500+.