754 proc in a 939 board?

Taurus

hardware monkey
i've generally been out of the loop for a while but my dad decided he wanted a new rig, so i'm back in. :)

here's what we've come up with;

MSI K8NGM2-FID Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
GeIL Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit
NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A
ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL/420 Black/Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply
and he'll be using his old 40gb ide harddrive.

now, when K8 first came out, i swear i remember the 754 processors being compatible in 939 boards. the downside to that would be single-channel memory as opposed to dual. but i noticed on manufacturer's websites that they don't mention 754 processors their 939 boards' cpu support list. is this an idea that was phased out or am i just plain crazy? i wanted to get him a Sempron 64 2500+ for a cool $66 and he could get something beefier in the future.

it is not possible and has never been possible for socket 754 to go into 939 mobos

so yes you are crazy :)

but I would try really really hard to not go socket 754 if you can...a new socket for AMD processors (M2 is what it used to be called but there is a new name for it) is right around the corner so the most recent would be socket 939...you might be able to fit that into your budget I hope.

Socket 754s also don't support dual channel memory. Might as well get something upgradeable.

Petros said:
Socket 754s also don't support dual channel memory. Might as well get something upgradeable.
i was aware of and did mention the fact that using a 754 proc would give up dual-channel, but i figured i could just do that with a 939 board. we're getting a nice 939 mobo and dual channel memory anyway (check links) since it's so common and basically the same price as regular which would still leave the door open for better/cheaper 939 procs later. we just wanted to save money on the proc right now since my dad won't be doing any 3d, encoding, compiling, rendering, or anything of the sort. figured a nice cool 1.4ghz would suffice for his browsing and virus scanning. but i guess a 3200+ for $160 is the only choice. :rolleyes:

thanks.

Last edited:
There was a Sempron socket 939 CPU in the AMD product listings for April 2005 but I can't find them for sale anywhere. They had the dual channel feature disabled and were entry level priced.

I guess AMD decided to ditch them when they decided to end the 939 CPU development starting this spring in favor of their new M2 socket design. The M2 also shows a Sempron version, but starting at 2gig.

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

Whether they ever did make an adapter for this, I do not know, and rather doubt it. There was an adapter to plug a socket A CPU into a slot A motherboard back in the day, but here... Personally, I would recommend against using a CPU adapter, even assuming such a thing exists for this, but as some have pointed out the socket 939 using dual channel memory...bleh

Just suggest, he gets another CPU, and that in the end he'll probably be happier with the thing.

754 == 754 pins.

If you can figure out a way to put that into a 939 pin socket, be my guest :)

You can't plug it in because there are differences to the way the processor is setup.

Probably won't make much of a performance difference but unfortunately you can't simply take one and plug it into the other.

I changed my entire mobo when I moved to my currrent proc. There was no option for me to use my 3400+ with the 939 board.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back