7200rpm HD Cooling necessary?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jcs83md, Aug 9, 2002.

1. jcs83md

jcs83md Guest

I'm thinking about picking up a 80 GB Western Digital Special Edition drive. Supposedly they run rather cool but still people recommend cooling. This will be the lone hard drive in my system and will be able to breath on each side. Is extra cooling really necessary?
  2. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

i wouldn't think so
    unless ur like extreme o/cing and cooling guy
  3. Skwowwy

Skwowwy Guest

4. jcs83md

jcs83md Guest

Skwowwy... are you sure the cooler you got made that much of a difference? That seems ridiculous. How warm does your CPU and motherboard run?
  5. Skwowwy

Skwowwy Guest

I didn't make it up, though. The HD's really now 31 - 34 degrees. That's with case open, though, because there isn't enough airflow in there (too much wires/cables). I'm also going to get a special fan for the airflow soon, so yeah. Once that's done, the case will be closed.

As for the CPU/motherboard temperatures, I don't know. I don't have any sensors for it. It's a Compaq Presario, you see. :p
  6. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

depends on actual temperature : CASE .
  7. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

West Lafayette, IN, USA
    I got the same drive. Its a little warm to the touch, but not burning. I have a 80mm intake fan that blows into the 3.5 bay occupied by the 80GB and another 30GB. It seems to work well enough