7200rpm HD Cooling necessary?

J

jcs83md

I'm thinking about picking up a 80 GB Western Digital Special Edition drive. Supposedly they run rather cool but still people recommend cooling. This will be the lone hard drive in my system and will be able to breath on each side. Is extra cooling really necessary?

Skwowwy... are you sure the cooler you got made that much of a difference? That seems ridiculous. How warm does your CPU and motherboard run?

Originally posted by jcs83md
Skwowwy... are you sure the cooler you got made that much of a difference? That seems ridiculous. How warm does your CPU and motherboard run?

I didn't make it up, though. The HD's really now 31 - 34 degrees. That's with case open, though, because there isn't enough airflow in there (too much wires/cables). I'm also going to get a special fan for the airflow soon, so yeah. Once that's done, the case will be closed.

As for the CPU/motherboard temperatures, I don't know. I don't have any sensors for it. It's a Compaq Presario, you see. :p

Originally posted by jcs83md
I'm thinking about picking up a 80 GB Western Digital Special Edition drive. Supposedly they run rather cool but still people recommend cooling. This will be the lone hard drive in my system and will be able to breath on each side. Is extra cooling really necessary?

depends on actual temperature : CASE .

I got the same drive. Its a little warm to the touch, but not burning. I have a 80mm intake fan that blows into the 3.5 bay occupied by the 80GB and another 30GB. It seems to work well enough

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back