6600 GT vs 6800

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by lancer, Feb 2, 2005.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Here is the spec for the evga 6600GT:

Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT/500MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB GDDR3/1000MHz
    BUS: PCI-Express x16
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite) + DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
    RAMDACs: 400MHz
    Cable/Accessories: HDTV Cable, DVI to VGA Adapter , Manual, Driver CD
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

And for the 6800 evga:

Specifications:
    Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6800/325MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/700MHz
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video) + DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0c, OpenGL 1.5
    Cable/Accessories: Manual, DVI to VGA Adapter, 2 Cables
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

Now it seems to me that that the 6600gt is a far far better card for far less money

The 6800 is $300
    and the 6600gt ranges from $200-250

Am i missing something here? or is it just that the pci-express makes it cheaper?

Let me know what you think because the 6600Gt looks like a great buy and i may just get one.

2. lancer

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

depends what you are doing.

the 6600 has far lesss brute force than the 6800. Only reason to get 6800 series is if youare hardcore into gaming - otherwise the other chipse have better features at the expensive of that raw power

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

yeah, the fact that it's PCI-Express also causes the lower price. I guess ATI and NVidia are trying to move people over to PCI-E more and more. Too bad motherboard prices didn't drop drastically too. Would have helped the PCI-E push more.

the 6800 is a nice card for the money. Like they say, you get what you pay for. i'm using the 6800GT and just love it. uses GDDR3 like the 6600GT does, though it did cost quite a bit more.....

5. lancer

well i just bought the evga 6800, we'll see how it is and i'll let you know, all the reviews i've read online seem to suggest its the best 6800 you can buy.

Guess we'll also find out if my 350w psu can handle it as i don't want to buy another.

anyone want to just give me a 400w + psu :)

6. ElementalDragon

about giving you a PSU.... don't think anyone will give out a 400w, since most of them are still at LEAST $50. You probably want to get a beefier one though, since doesn't the 6800 have a minimum req. of 350w? i'd suggest the Ultra X-Connect PSU's. i have the 500w one, and i think Tittle does too. great power supply, though i think they still cost like $80 or something.... don't remember. haven't looked up the prices in a while. Greatest thing about it is that it's a modular power supply (i.e. no red/brown/black/yellow wires showing, all neatly shielded and covered) so it really makes your case look nice and tidy.

7. Red

Red OSNN One Post Wonder

I've got the BFG 6800gt, and it rocks the socks... I can say no more. 8)

The constant update of drivers make it always exciting to see it kick more butt then ever.

:eek:

8. Red

Red OSNN One Post Wonder

oh, not to mention the lifetime warranty!

9. ElementalDragon

i WAS gonna get the BFG.... but when i got mine i couldn't find anywhere that had it in stock. still like my LeadTek though. quite nice.

10. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Something cool will happen with nvidia drivers either privately or publically in March.
    But alas I have said too much! (rel75 ahem)

11. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

You've got me interested now :( Damn you!

12. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

I had issues finding the BFG gt too.. pcworld c.c. stopped listing it aweek before i ordered, so just had to push for the BFG 6800 ultra :rolleyes:

13. MUYA

MUYA OSNN Junior Addict

Just FYI, the GeForce 6800 is a 3 quad processing GPU with a 256 bit memory interface.

The 6600GT is a 2 quad processing GPU with a 128 bit memory interface.

Although the fillrate is higher i the 6600GT, it's memory is still somehwat limited by the 128 bit memory interface. That means performance with Anti aliasing will suuffer as a consequence.

14. jeeter2

jeeter2 OSNN Junior Addict

With todays games there isnt much diffrence I have a PNY 6600GT AGP and run Knights of the Old Republic at 1600x1200 8xAA 16xAF @75Hz with no problems and Doom3 almost runs in ultra quality with the occasional studder or pause its almost playable.

15. MUYA

MUYA OSNN Junior Addict

I beg to differ ;) 8X AA on 6600GT etc do not work properly. The 8X aa doesn't get applied but a lower AA method does. It has been documented at Overclocker's cafe too.

16. MUYA

MUYA OSNN Junior Addict

17. MUYA

MUYA OSNN Junior Addict

In short, The wider the memory interface and faster the memory can operate at, means the faster performance you will get with MSAA. SSAA requires better fillrate.

18. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If you get the 6800 go with the GT, and BFG tech. I got mine on ebay and it was brand new. It was worth every penny.

19. MUYA

MUYA OSNN Junior Addict

ya, 6800 Gt is the 4 quad (16 pixel procesing pipelined) with 6 Vertex shading units GPU whereas the 6800 is a 3 quad (12 pixel processing pipelined) with 5 Vertex Shading units GPU. Performance between the GT and Ultra and sometimes negligible. :D

20. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I think the GT is just an underclocked Ultra. So if you are the type to OC go with the GT, if you are a warrenty freak go with the Ultra