64 Bit Proccessors

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
I remember the change from 8 to 16 and 16 to 32 bit processors. There were many and varied problems mostly related with applications and software/drivers some of which have still not been overcome.

Thinking or thunking will have to be backwards compatible this could turn NT/XP/2000 back into Win3.1 with knobs.

If you put this into context with processor design (threading technology) and the fact that multi-processor systems are on the way up, even without any advance in the technology (but plenty of advances in motherboard design's) what's the future?

I’ve just heard on the news that the biggest internet processing company in the world is at the mercy of the US banks, by January 2003 when it's loans are due (they can't make the repayments) is is deep trouble. This company just about run's the world’s www sites and related traffic including more than 50% of e-mails worldwide.

All CPU manufactures must consider themselves now at risk; as have been other (larger) component manufactures who have large R&D programmes.

Don’t lets argue about which is best Intel or AMD CPU? It might well be the case that within the next few months both will be bust. Where will all your “who’s best” arguments be then? Also consider where these companies actually manufacture their hardware, some of these countries are very unstable now.

The years of dramatic developments in worldwide computer hardware design and developments (40 years) look to be about to stall for at least a few years (five), buy your cheap CPU’s and memory now costs, are set to zoom upwards dramatically.

What do you think?

They will run just fine. Besides, those who really wanted 64-bit processing for such applications have put with the 64-bit ONLY processors supplied by Intel....will this be so bad?

Probably not. But who's writting 64 bit programmes and where are they?

There is a C#, C++ compiler on the way but as CPU throttle-back (P4) technology becomes more evident with threaded CPU methods about to be introduced (these are directly in opposition) as the CPU level 2 mem (cache) can't resolve or even cope with this, CPU level 3 (cache on chip) will have to be introduced. This will increase CPU cost's dramatically and compilers will have to be rewritten. This is a major task.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back