62c too high for AMD Duron 1gig?

This is interesting.
AMD's server demonstration, containing four AMD Opteron processors, ran a 32-bit Web server on top of a 64-bit SuSE Linux operating system and serving Web pages to an eighth-generation AMD Athlon™ processor-based machine.

AMD has previously shown single and dual-processor configurations of its eighth-generation processor family, running both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, including a developmental version of 64-bit Microsoft® Windows®. Microsoft Corp. is collaborating with AMD to incorporate 64-bit support for the eighth-generation AMD Athlon and AMD Opteron processors into the Windows operating system. Together, AMD’s next-generation processors and Windows are designed to provide customers a flexible, compatible and reliable platform.

AMD continues to hit developmental milestones for its next-generation processors, as shown by today’s demonstration, and continues to build industry momentum for its upcoming product family.

The AMD Opteron processor is designed to scale from one to eight processors with no external logic required. This can aid system designers by reducing the cost and complexity of building servers and workstations. It can also aid customers by reducing cost and increasing server scalability.
AMD is also on a 0.13 Micron Die.

It's interesting how MicroSquish is "collaborating with AMD".

compare.jpg

Maybe MicroSquish knows something? Hummmm...

hehe gonaads...that's basically what I said...but u said it so much better :)

Intel's Prescott: 0.09 micron!
800MHz FSB
100 million transistors
Olympic-Sized Swimming Pool L2 Cache
Hyper-Threading Technology
32/64 Bit
3.0+ GHz (to start)
Yamhill Technology???

I'd be shaking in my boots!:eek: :D :D :D

Well I just cashed this system in on:

P4 Northwood 2.26GH 533FSB Processor
ASUS P4S533 SIS645/961 Motherboard
Corsair DDRAM 512M|64X64 PC-2700

All other components remain the same.

So Ill Give you my $.02 on Monday(hopefully when I get it):D

Dont think it really matters, most of you guys have your minds made up and noone will ever talk you out of it.:rolleyes: But I'll run some benches and get back to youns(if anyone is interested).

L8tr...........:D

Originally posted by Weshy
I have an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 2000+ running at 31 idle and 35 under load. Sounds pretty hot compared to that 2.6ghz P4 don't it. What room temp did you get that result from? How did you measure

So what the hell does that prove? That my processor runs cooler than a 1.3ghz Duron? Don't think so. Apples to apples comparison before saying 1 processor runs cooler than another. Same components installed in the same type of case in the same area of the room under same room temps using the same cooling methods and using the same measuring techniques.

Why don't you actually try measuring the real world performance between those 2 first? I know which chip comes out on top, do you?

Weshy.

That is a little hard to believe unless you are using watercooling. Can you upload a pic?

Is 55-60 degress celcius too hot for my system? This is according to VCool.

For an AMD no. If it were a Pentium P4 it would be too high.

Well actually i have both a Athlon 1600 XP and a P4 1.5 OC 1.61 GHZ, well i must admit the Athlon XP are definetly faster than a comparable P4 one. But serious i prefer the P4 bcos

A)It's Quiet (i dun have a bloody 6000RPM fan)

B)Intel service is better than AMD...both my chips blew out for my P4 and Athlon XP (dun ask... werid lighting surge...now i have UPS). Intel returned a new chip MUCH faster than AMD , PLUS intel loaned me a spare chip so that i could get back to work.

C)The P4 is definetly much cooler (by about 10 degress) P4 stock fan (3200 RPM) VS a volacano HSF!!

But of course for price vs performance a Athlon XP is much much better. But those ppl with money to burn will not regret buying the intel. BTW both cpu rocks!

Very interesting. Neither chip can harness the lightening?

Originally posted by SnookBooger
Get a P4 Northie and you won't have to worry about cpu temps. On the remote chance that it should start to overheat (due to fan failure) it'll lower it's clock speed to begin cooling down. This is all automatic so you can concentrate on the more enjoyable things in life.:)

SnookBooger, I would say that you would still need to worry about temp. I know that the Orig P4 could throttle temp if the heatsink and fan were removed or fell off, bu that sacrificed an awful lot of clock cycles. So if it is running real hot flatout then it will throttle down to something like 600 or maybe 900, so you have then wasted money when you bought a 2.4 GHz CPU, why waste money on that.

Also to the original post: yeah that temp is too high I would get a ThermalTake Volcano and some Arctic Silver III. I did, I had CPU at 67 C and it is now down the 38-45 C.

A possible reason that Intel might be more expensive is the clock throtte during heatsink removal. P4 and P3 will throttle down and crash respectivle where as Athlon and AthlonXP will roasting nicely in their own juices, but you save money with the AMD and you get a fancy floor show when it goes that way.

I prefer AMD myself, I can spend more money and GFx and Sound cards if an Intel hasnt eaten my pockets and trousers. I can also afford a better heatsink and fan to prevent meltdown.

Originally posted by gtgarside

SnookBooger, I would say that you would still need to worry about temp. I know that the Orig P4 could throttle temp if the heatsink and fan were removed or fell off, bu that sacrificed an awful lot of clock cycles. So if it is running real hot flatout then it will throttle down to something like 600 or maybe 900, so you have then wasted money when you bought a 2.4 GHz CPU, why waste money on that.

Also to the original post: yeah that temp is too high I would get a ThermalTake Volcano and some Arctic Silver III. I did, I had CPU at 67 C and it is now down the 38-45 C.

A possible reason that Intel might be more expensive is the clock throtte during heatsink removal. P4 and P3 will throttle down and crash respectivle where as Athlon and AthlonXP will roasting nicely in their own juices, but you save money with the AMD and you get a fancy floor show when it goes that way.

I prefer AMD myself, I can spend more money and GFx and Sound cards if an Intel hasnt eaten my pockets and trousers. I can also afford a better heatsink and fan to prevent meltdown.

But Intel is pulling away with the advancements in technology. That is why I am switching. Amd is putting their whole future on this clawhammer...hopefully for ALL OUR SAKE it pans out, as everyone knows competition keeps prices down.

Grinder:cool:

Vhy vould you vant to buy heatsink that falls off chip?:confused:

Who is this SnookBooger? He sound like he know P4 well!

You wouldn't want to buy a heatsink that falls off...but hey, $#i7 happens...

ic...very nice...most of the cons don't apply to me either :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back