5th major crash in xp!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by neo090282, May 29, 2003.

1. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Hi,

My XP has crashed again the same way for roughly the fifth time. I have pretty much had enough of re-formatting everytime so would rather keep my stuff and solve the problem.

The prob is that the file c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing. I knpow its not missing because I have managed to check. However I have got a new copy of the file on cd, but I cant boot with a floppy disk cos my drive is NTFS!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ian

2. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

use ur xp cd and boot into the recovery console... ;)
    Expand cdromdrive:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ destination:\WINNT\system32

cdromdrive= ur cd drive
    destination=ur winxp

3. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

My xp cd wont boot from start, any other ideas?

4. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

did u change the bios setting to boot from cdrom?

5. ARS

ARS Guest

Yea, no what, tell me this. Where does it say you are missing that file? After it post's? Or do you get to logon and see your desktop and able to hit Ctrl Alt Del? If you are able to hit Ctrl Alt and Del and get to your TaskMan, click on File up top and hit Run. Have that file copied already on a CD/Floppy and stick it in and browse to your CD/Floppy. Then copy that file and then paste inside WinNT/system32.

If not, you could just go through it in WinXP Recovery Console. GL.

Anthony

6. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

all retail xp cd's boot the only one that doesn't is devil own and in that case no one is gonna help you.

7. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

8. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Krux.....it is a genuine one and i managed to get it booted.
    Ended up just reinstalling. But surpise surprise it has happened again.
    It crashes at start up, before the windows splash screen thing. Its always a system file in c:\windows\system or system32.
    From the files i rememeber that have gone missing beofre now, hal.ddl, "something".log, that origonal one in my first post! Any ideas its really annoying, could it have anything to do with my second drive (used for my files) that still has some old files on it. (Even more explanation neede!)

Any ideas??

Thanks

Ian

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

could be a duff ram stick you know. try overvolting it for stability. 2.7v should be fine

10. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Explain how that works? The RAM is only 4 month old? I have ASUS probe, but cant rememeber if it displays that....

11. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

if the rams a little unstable, cranking the voltage up from the BIOS will help stability

12. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Right is that advisable though and sure this is possible from bios?
    What is standard voltage and why does this make it more stable? Sorry for the questions!!

:)

13. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

standard is like 2.5 I think and yes its safe, and when things are starved for power in your computer they don't work right so upping the voltage will make sure your ram is running as it should be and not choking up when its under load

14. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

sweet, i'll give i a go tonight and see how it is.

Thanks

15. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

You can also try to lower the timing on the ram also in bios ... ie: mine has settings of , normal , fast, fastest, and turbo .. also all this can be done manually... so in the bios find the dram timings and see if you have any way of changing the ram timing ... as said above a little extra juice ( voltage ) adds stabillity.. because I over clock as you can see in my specs below I needed to lower ram to normal speed and add vcore volts to get my rig steady :)

16. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

Isn't ntoskrnl.exe the file that holds the boot screen data amongst other data?
    I remember awhile back that people customised ntoskrnl.exe so they get different boot screens.

RaG