56k trouble

D

dayneh88

i am currently running windows xp and whenever i try to get onto the internet using my 56k modem i have to try 4 - 6 times to actually get a good speed.

today i tried and i connected at 9.6k and that to me is shit, i am using a netcomm internal 56k modem and it was compatible with xp so i went to the site and got the latest drivers for xp and it still won't connect higher than 48k. i have tried everything possible to make it connect faster but i can't. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou dayne:(

Actually due to a bunch of things a 56K modem will never connect at 56k. FCC regulations prevent it from sctually going aboive about 53k (although theoretically it can go to 56k without line restrictions, its not false advertising). And you will rarely get that unless every piece of phone wire between youer house and the ISP is in immaculate condition. 48K is perfectly normal for a modem connection.

As for the random extremly ow speeds, that is probably just random line noise, interference, etc. (unless it happens EVERY single time)

JJB6486

9.6k ????????????????????????????????? wtf
Ring your phone company and tell them that and ask for a line check.. then ask them to turn the gain up on your line to maximum.

also ring a quiet number and see if u can here a faint dial tone.. surefire way of saying the cables are worn out.

LOL it aint XP....

JJ ... since when is Australia in the FCC's jurisdiction? :p

According to Telstra, 48Kbps is the absolute feasable network limit under the most ideal conditions, and that's been matched by my own experiences with dial-ups in Oz. With the fact that most Aussie ISPs don't seem to know a router from a rooter, along with the atrocious copper wiring in most Australian homes (especially in rural areas), it seems a miracle that anyone can get a connection at all.

I'm already weeping for the day when I'll have to permanently give up my American cable modem service for an Aussie dial-up -- and even when DSL spreads out to my part of the countryside, it'll still be metered, as most Aussie ISPs are. Stone drag.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back