5 ide drives?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kush, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Kush

Kush High On Life!

Montreal, Quebec
    I've always known that the maximum drives you can have connected to a motherboard through the ide cabes is 4. am i wrong? Can i connect more on the asus xp motherboards? how is this possible?:confused:
  2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

Montreal, Quebec

yeah k i knew i could only have 4 but i didnt know that u can get a ide controller on pci cool thanks man
  3. Aarow

Aarow Guest

Yeah i have a Promise IDE Controller Card and have 4 Hard Drives, CD Burner, Dvd and 250 ZIP drive and still have a spare slot. Haven't had a problem

4. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

When I plugged my Promise TX2 card into my rig.. it took my IRQ15, so I colud only have the slave/master config of the onboard ide port(IRQ14). But I can have master/slave twice from the Promise controller(IRQ15).

But what i wanna know is how does the Promise card support two master/slave configurations while only using IRQ15!..

But I guess as long as it works I shouldnt question how or why!!!!!! :D
  5. stuppy

stuppy Guest

If you have onboard RAID on your motherboard then this will give you 2 more channels each being able to take 2 drives. In esence, you have 4IDE channels that can take upto eight devices.
  6. Bob S

Bob S Guest

Abit RAID Boards have 4 IDE channels so you can actually have up to 8 drives.
  7. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Moved to hardware: Iceman