5.1 vs 4.1

Inside hint for alot of people looking for a high quality soundcard for the same price as a Creative card. Go to a music store (like Mars, Sam Ash, or Guitar Center). They have cards that pro audio guys (girls) and recording engineers use and they kick a**.

Yeah, but many ASIO-based pro audio cards don't support DirectSound (much less other audio APIs like EAX and A3d), and none support multichannel (at least, not as we would relate to PCs). They're generally not the best choice for those looking for an all-around PC audio solution (particularly gamers).

I do miss my Gina, though.

you're right to a point. Alot of the cards do support support directsound now and there a many mulit channel models. I wouldn't advise them to gamers, but I would suggest them to anyone that was serious about sound quality.

Well, they sound good...but I can't buy something without EAX...it's just not in my blood;)

EAX is okay ... as long as it's not on a Creative card.

For years, I bought any card I could get a hold of with an Aureal chipset. When Aureal folded and support went down the tubes, I broke down and went Creative, until I realised their cards went through a quality control scheme that involved three-year-olds with multimeters and trained monkeys screaming at Pat Boone records. They're also not very kind under the NT kernal, although the Audigy seems a bit more graceful under XP (maybe the "soon-to-be-released" new Live! drivers will help, but I wouldn't hold my breath). Still, you can get a lot better cards than the Audigy for a lot less, and many non-Creative cards offer both EAX and A3d support (although if you really want EAX3, you'll still have to buy an Audigy).

I guess the one advantage the Audigy has is 24-bit ASIO support, but if you want a budget studio you'd still be better served by getting a dedicated recording card for the same price.

Exactly, I wanted EAX3, I bought an Audigy, I don't regret it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back