40- vs. 80-conductor IDE cable

Jestermask

WinTMBG Professional
What's the difference between these two? Will I have any kind of instability if I use the wrong one?

Thanks

Jestermask

speed mostly, the drive will still run fine. Just can't move info as fast.

if you have an older mainboard that doesn't support ATA100 you should pick up a Promise ATA100 PCI controller.. the speed increase is worth it..

40-conducter cables for for ata66 (i believe) drives and slower. for ata100 and ata133, you will need to use an 80-conductor cable for the corresponding drives. so basically, use 80-conductor for your harddrives and 40-conductor for optical drives.

40pin VS. 80pin

The 40 conductor cables are essentially suitable for any drive that is DMA33 or less. You can use these cables on DMA66 or higher drives with certain limitations. Most newer motherboards will reduce the max transfer rate to DMA33 if these cables are detected. The 80 conductor cable was designed with 40 ground connections. This is to eliminate the extra bus noise that DMA66 and higher drives create. For people that use DMA133 drives and higher there is another cable that is more suited to this type. It is still an 80 conductor cable, the only difference is that it has an extra gound strap that you mount to the case as well.
To make a long story short, you are better off using the 80 conductor cable on all of your devices. If you use a 40 conductor cable be sure not to use it on any device faster than a DMA33 device.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back