3rd Party ATI Driver

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kr0m, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

2. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

I have just coughed up for Hafe-Life2 so will give this driver a go as the 4.12 cats are supposidly optimised for HL2 and this driver is an optimised 4.12 driver!

3. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

yeah i'm using the tc drivers. i used to use the omega ones which are amazing, but i heard that the tc used the beta 4.12s and is optimized for hl2 so i gave it a try. hl2 runs well on my computer as is, so i didn't really notice a significant speed increase, but i suppose if i were getting lower frame rates to start off with that it'd make a big difference. as for other games i don't really know, i've only tested it with nfsug2, and that runs well anyway also. i'd just stick with omega unless you're really hurting for better frame rates.

4. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

i started using the 3rd party drivers because, somewhere down the line, "Fastwrite" was turned on for my 9600XT and it was screwing everything up... games would hang.

Once i figured that out, i went back to the ATI drivers to be sure...
    but yea, with the HL2 release, I went with the optimized ones.

5. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I see they'res an older version of the control panel bundled with the TC drivers, which are no use to me since I couldn't change my AGP speed. I have to lower my AGP speed since my card doesn't work all that well with my motherboard. I ended up just going back to the regular catalysts.

6. homesick1337

homesick1337 Computer Lover

Anyone have problems with this new driver while playing HL2?

7. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

I have been running these drivers for a while now. As far as I can see it’s just the 4.12 beta drivers with an optimised opengl file (for doom3) and a couple of other tweaking files.