3dmark bench scores too low !

• Thread starter cwalker2734
  • Start date
Originally posted by cwalker2734
I just cant decide what to do, on one hand I strive to use the best hardware available for this thing, and on the other hand... does it make sense to spend $150.00 because of some damn benchmark ???

In a couple of months I will be switching over to Athlon64, so I guess I'll hold off; thank you for the advice.

no it doesn't make sense :)

btw... if you get the a7n8x... make sure it is rev 2.0... the regular one has issues with some memory types... believe me.. .I know :)

I just cant decide what to do, on one hand I strive to use the best hardware available for this thing, and on the other hand... does it make sense to spend $150.00 because of some damn benchmark ???

In a couple of months I will be switching over to Athlon64, so I guess I'll hold off; thank you for the advice.

It doesn't make sense for $150, but it might be worth it at $75. :D And the deluxe version (2 ethernet, 5.1 surround sound onboard) is $109

Originally posted by Eck
What motherboard/chipset do you have, doom?

It's a Gigabyte ga-7vax K7 triton 400 mobo. Just put it in a few months ago so I could upgrade

I cant get more than 11500 on 3dmark2001, and 5300 on 3dmark2003, I use all the latest drivers, and DirectX9.0, anyone have an idea as to what is the deal, I'm thinking my 3dmark2001 score should be around 16000. My 3dmark2003 score should be @ 6000.

That is odd but not out of the ball park. Heres my system to give you a comparrison:

XP2600+ (@333)
NForce 2 MOBO (ABIT NF7)
1 GIG DDR 333 (Crucial, dual banded on the Nforce)
Creative FX 5900 ULTRA (256)

On 3D Mark 2003 I get 6400 dead on. On 2001SE I get about 14500. The 2003 score seams about right (given my lower CPU) but the 2001 score is odd. I previously had a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and I could get 15200+ with that!

My suspicion is that 2001 is simply not capable of testing a DX9 card properly.

As for the dodgy score with 2003: Drivers. Its gotta be (I am personally using Det 45.67 at the mo). But then again, NForce can make a big difference as it has twice the memory bandwidth:cool:

Well here is the latest update, I just installed a Gigabyte Ga7n400-L1. As soon as I fix all the little glitches as well as a trojan that my girlfriend picked up along the way, and the w32.blaster virus, I will post some benchmarking scores.

Well blaster virus gone, whew !
3dmark2001 = 15000 w/ no OCing !

SOYO SUCKS !!

I am now a fan of Gigabyte motherboards.

hehe just like my mate phill, he had a crappy jetway v266 mobo and some nice kit, corsair 3200 ram, ti4600 etc, and got 8000 3d marks, i was getting 12000+, with my A7V8X asus rig, 1 A7N8X later and 11000 3d marks, i aint telling him about ram timings incase he beats my score :eek:

(kermit beats me :()

very very soon we will all be fiving 3dmark the big F U and benching with half life 2 and aquamark benchmarking tools :)

Well blaster virus gone, whew !
3dmark2001 = 15000 w/ no OCing !

SOYO SUCKS !!

I am now a fan of Gigabyte motherboards.

This excites me....

*rubs the crystal ball* I see an Asus P4P800 in my near future...

Hope it turns out just as good for me.

Hmm, new board runs great. All of the noticable video lag I was getting while running games and benchmarks is gone, but the 3D Mark 01 score is still right around 12,500. OK, lets see. It's not the video card, nor the mobo. Sound isn't involved, so the soundcard isn't an issue. The harddrive is fine. That leaves three things: the cpu, the ram, and the power supply. I'd suspect the power supply next... I'm thinking about getting an Antec True430. Any second opinions?

What CPU are you running in the NForce? I'd check memory timings, and AGP settings. I'm not the expert on this, but does the ram need to be in the far left and far right slots for dual channel operation? I noticed when I put a computer together for a friend of mine that the recommended slots are not side-by-side on his NForce board (he pulls down almost 16k in 3dMark with an Athlon XP 2800 CPU).

I don't have NForce, I'm using an Intel P4 2.4 GHz Northwood with an Asus P4P800 motherboard, which does have dual channel support. And yes, you're supposed to stick 1 stick in the first slot, and another in the third slot so you'll have dual channel. I'm running dual channel right now at 133, which coincides with my FSB. AGP settings are fine, ram timings could be improved ever so slightly. That's not going to account for 3,000 3d marks though.

BTW I really meant to answer you about the Antec power supply but got wrapped up in my question about dual channel:eek: . I ordered a case from Antec with the 430W TruePower, and it's been great! Someone at work has the same problem as you, but I'm not sure if it's his mobo or power supply. He does have standard budget priced power, though.

Yeah, my power supply is one that came with the case. 300 Watts, 15A on the +12 line.

16000 on a 2800XP ??
Damn I am doing something wrong.

Well, I can hit 6000 on 3dmark2003 and when HL2 comes out I will be able to play it with all the fancy effects, and I guess thats what its all about...

BTW - Whats the word on the power of the Athlon64 ?

I've had this setup for almost 2 months now...time to start upgrading again ! :D

16000 on a 2800XP ??
Damn I am doing something wrong.

Well, I can hit 6000 on 3dmark2003 and when HL2 comes out I will be able to play it with all the fancy effects, and I guess thats what its all about...

BTW - Whats the word on the power of the Athlon64 ?

I've had this setup for almost 2 months now...time to start upgrading again ! :D

I forgot to mention he was also running a Radeon 9700 Pro. That explains a lot of it. I was getting 12,500 with nothing OC'd on an XP 2100+ and a Radeon 9700 non-pro.

By the way, if you want to see some sickeningly high scores on 3dMark 2001 and an Athlon 64, look at the posts and screenshots in this forum. And this is the Athlon 64 not even realizing its true 64-bit potential. I can't wait to see what it will do with a 64-bit OS and 64-bit drivers!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back