32 Bit or 64 Bit Version of Vista

hitchhiker49

OSNN Newbie
I don't know the frist thing about the two or the difference currently running Windows Xp and assume it is 32 Bit but not sure how does one find or stermine which is the correct one for them?
Thanks in advance.
Ernie

email removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 34 Bit or 64 Bit Version of Vista

It depends on your processor (CPU).

If you have a 64-bit processor then you can run the 64-bit version of Vista. If not, you will need to stick with the 32-bit version.

What type of a CPU do you have?

Thread titled fixed (34 bit to 32 bit).

I'm still unable to get anything more than a 13.7MB file when I try to download the x64 edition!

The x86 version is so full of bugs anyway that I'll wait to see if I can test an RC1 release actually :)

I don't think there is any main different between the two (or there won't be when finished) but obviously a 64 bit OS is designed to make use of a 64 bit processor.

I plan to get a whole new rig set up for Vista maybe, which means buying a good top / midrange PC with an AMD processor (I gave Intel a chance; but they failed me with the Prescott processor tendancy to heat up way too quickly) with an X range graphics card etc.

I don't think there is any main different between the two (or there won't be when finished) but obviously a 64 bit OS is designed to make use of a 64 bit processor.

I plan to get a whole new rig set up for Vista maybe, which means buying a good top / midrange PC with an AMD processor (I gave Intel a chance; but they failed me with the Prescott processor tendancy to heat up way too quickly) with an X range graphics card etc.
One of the main differences, and this will become more of a factor in Vista than was in XP, is a 64-bit OS can address more than 4GB of RAM, which is the limit to a 32-bit OS.

XP only needs around 128MB as a minimum requirement, while Vista will need around 1GB to run smoothly. The need for more RAM is growing :eek:

I'm not going to report the post - but just happened to notice the originator of the thread posted his email and wondered if a kindly mod wanted to remove it lest spam spiders be abroad?

I'm not going to report the post - but just happened to notice the originator of the thread posted his email and wondered if a kindly mod wanted to remove it lest spam spiders be abroad?
Done.

To Clarify a bit I have a Intel Pentium D Processor 820 w/dual core Technology

But you would need to install the OS to exploit the 64 bit technology - and if you had done that you would know about it.

So the likelihood is you are running a 32 bit OS on your 64 bit processor, which is fine. Should you wish to try XP64 be aware you may run into driver issues so might want to research that first (check for 64 bit support on the hardware you have).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back