2x256MB DDR vs 2x512MB DDR

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Impulse4life, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Impulse4life

Impulse4life Windows Perfectionist

Hello

I'm about to purchase a dual channel kit of OCZ PC3200-EL EBPlatinum and I was just wondering really if I would find a very significant difference in my machine if I bought the 2x256 or the 2x512. Basicly what Im looking at is weather or not the performance increase is worth the extra $208CA ($159US) or not? What do you guys think?

I'm running a P4 3.0 w/800fsb and dual channel ram by the way

Thanks
    Jamie

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

i'm not entirely sure to be honest. right now i'm running i think it's 2 sticks of Kingston DDR400 256MB on dual channel. Either way it would beat out using only one stick of 256 or 512. if you plan on doing a whole lot of online gaming or anything uber resource heavy, then i'd say the 2 sticks of 512.

3. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

i'd go with 2x512

4. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Bus is 800MHz (PC3200 = 2*(200MHz*2)) on dual channel, same bus on 2x256mb and 2x512mb, same RAM access rates, same speeds.

More RAM = More programs stored in memory = Faster

I bid for the 2x512mb can't ever get enough RAM I say (that is Windows can't get enough RAM...), I can't stand a system with much less than 1gb running winXP.

Prices can vary with the CAS rating of the RAM as well, the lower the CAS the better the RAM. Read more about CAS...

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Go with the 512's for sure if you are into gaming, graphics work etc. or leave a lot of applications open all the time. If not you can get by with the 256's.

I needed 768 to run BF1942 smoothly and 1 gig would be nice now that I'm into UT2004. I lock up for a couple seconds when the game has to pull textures off the HD.

6. ElementalDragon

UT2004? that doesn't need THAT much. i'm on Dual channel DDR400 512MB total, GeForceFX 5700, P4 2.4 OC'd to 3.0, and i have every setting as high as it can go at i think 1024x768 and running like butter.

7. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

I'd get 512MB ram then save up for a 10,000RPM hard drive :D

8. Skwowwy

Skwowwy 1337ness

It'd be very interesting if there's even a 1,000 RPM HDD around at this time. xD *patpats* :p

9. ElementalDragon

lol. imagine the seek times on that beast. what ya think it'd be? 15 seconds?

10. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

well it all depends what ur going to be running. i actaully think u don't even need the 2x512. cuz i was using 2x256 and it ran halo and UT perfectly. and it ran doom3 decently

11. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

I think I'd still rather have dual SATA drives on a RAID array, especially with the new SATA300 drives coming out. :D

12. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

if you can afford it go for the 2x512...you never ever ever can have too much memory...especially if you have a mid to low end graphics card the memory will help that card be "faster" (not really It will just seem faster)

13. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

agrees, RAM is like money, more is better

14. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Well, from what I've seen is a lot of people like to have the 256MB x 2 because sometimes limiting the amount will force your computer to be more productive with the processor and whatnot.

Almost like saying if you have more ram, your computer becomes lazy because it has more options to store data.

I know that's a very odd way of looking at it, but It's fairly similar to the Xeon and it's use of DDR2700 chips and HT.

15. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Doesn't make sense? Programs are run from memory, the more you have the better.

16. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

17. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator