2nd HD only recognition problem...

T

TheDGuy

Hola to all those who may read,
I recently put in a new hard drive (60 gig Seagate Baracuda IV). I formated it with NTFS and have been using it without any problems except 1 minor irritation. XP will not AUTO recognize the drive. I have to either goto the add new hardware wizard or use the device manager and have it do a quick rescan of new drives. then it see's the drive and places the correct drive name and letter on it and works fine after that. Any one know why? I'd perfer not to have to do a reformat as i got about 40 gigs of data I don't want to loose (or have to burn).

TIA,
Dguy

i have had a similar problem....

except windows xp would not install the windows drivers for my 2nd harddrive... and everytime i boot the add new hardware wizard would show up and i would get the error. i called the tech support and they said it is just a cosmetic problem with windows xp... your drive should work fine but there is no other way around it unless you reinstall windows xp which i did and now everything works fine.

Just Thought I'd add something to this after 2 days of testing.

I found that enabling sharing on the (entire )2nd drive causes windows to boot up and recognize the drive. Or so it seems.

I used to have to keep enabling sharing on the drive, but 2 days ago i restarted my comp with it enabled, and when it booted back up, still saw the drive. i rebooted again just before this post and still noticed it. just thought i'd add that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back