250W power supply enough?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nomiophy, Jun 14, 2002.

1. nomiophy

nomiophy Guest

i'm going to be buying a leadtek geforce4 ti4400, and i'm wondering if 250W will be enough to power that as well as:

40x cdrom drive
    10/4/32 cdrw
    d-link 10/100 ethernet card
    floppy drive
    40gb 7200rpm maxtor hd
    sblive value
    512mb pc-133 sdram
    p3 800mhz
    chassis fan
    cpu heatsink and fan

right now the video card is an ati rage 128 pro (you can see why i'm replacing it lol), and it all works fine with 250W... if i need to upgrade, i will, but i'm wondering if i will need to or not, or if i should anyway
  2. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

it should work but just to be on safe side you should upgrade....bigger the better:)
  3. mathew

mathew Guest

i have a similar system P3 850mhz with g4 and it works fine,, maybe a little higher wattage will keep it more stable though..
  4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Arlington, TX
    You should be fine. Here's a good way to find out if you need to upgrade your power supply... If you turn it on one day and it doesn't boot up, and all the lights are on, you probably need to upgrade.

BTW: If the above happens, turn off the computer by holding the power button until it turns off. Unplug the computer, wait about 10 seconds, plug it back into the wall, and wait about 1 minute. Then turn it on.
  5. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Generally, the price between a 250watt and a 300watt are negligble...

I'm sure the extra $15 won't break the bank =P
  6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Well he allready has the 250W.
  7. Wrathchild

Wrathchild OSNN Senior Addict

Power Sopply

If you're running a P4 processor, which it doesn't sound like you are, you might want to consider swapping out the 250 for something a bit punchier. Between the P4's extra power draw anr the Geforce4, you'll be drawing a lot of juice. I have a lot of stuff going on in my case (lighting, lots of fans etc) so I went with a 400 watt PSU. You could probably do pretty well with a 300. Untill you start Modding that is. ;-)

8. nomiophy

nomiophy Guest

nope, its just a P3 800MHz..
  9. nomiophy

nomiophy Guest

any other opinions on a 250W?
  10. griabandia

griabandia Guest

im running:
    two fans
    duron 900
    gf4 mx 440
    tv card
    hard drive
    network card

on 300w and my computer locks up from time to time which might be because i dont have enough power.
  11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You'll be fine. Most probably.

Someting sounds broken. 300W should be well enough for you.