20GB WD 7200rpm w/ 8mb cache

razor_ro

OSNN Addict
120GB WD 7200rpm w/ 8mb cache

I just replaced my 80GB 7200rpm Maxtor with a 120GB WD 7200rpm w/ 8mb cache and for some reason it runs a little slower.... i dunno why but my maxtor felt more responsive, now everytime i click on something its like it takes a few secs to think about it then does it,.... i can also hear it working more oftne then my 80gb.... hmmm i wonder if i have a setting wrong or something cause i am almost sure that this WD should be faster than my maxtor..... anyone have any ideas?

RaZoR

ps... could it be that my MAXTOR was ATA133 and this one is ATA100?

Do you have the old drive still in there as a slave? If so you can bench mark them side by side - there's a utility called quickbench here - http://www.rundegren.com/

Oh and of course they are both fully defragged and sorted, yeah?

With a slave do think about moving your page file and print spool over there - if it is truly slower just make it your secondary drive and move data there keeping your original drive as primary - no sweat ;)

no...

i was thinking about benching them but its too late... originally i had the 120GB WD in my XBOX and the 80GB MAXTOR on my pc, then i did the switch-a-roo so the xobx has the 80 and my PC has the 120, ... too bad :(

btw, they were both formatted in NTFS and had indexing off

yes that would be an issue. the 8mb cache would make it faster hands down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back