2000 Pro or XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Friend of Bill, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Can't make up my mind. Which OS should I purchase? Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro?:confused:

2. blay

blay .:AgoraPhobik:.

Depends on your machine I guess, but I'd go w/ XP myself.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Well why are you having a hard time deciding? What's stopping you buying one from the other?

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

As Bley mentioned, it has a lot to do with your machine specs. If you have one that's capable of running XP, I'd say go for it by all means. It's an improvement over Win2k in a lot of ways.

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

If you're intending to play games and stuff, go for XP. 2k doesn't support games very well.

6. silis

silis The bum.

2k pro is for business applications. xp pro is for games. xp home is for pansies. Also, xp is the only current end user MS OS that supports hyperthreading.

If your CPU HAS HT... then get xp pro, regardless what you want to use it for (only in your house, xp pro sucks in the business market - it will bring your sever to its knees.)

If you plan on doing a lot of business type applications AND you don't have HT, then get 2k pro.

Benchmarks show that 2k pro is faster than XP pro (minus HT) for business application.
    I guess if you turn off all the crap included with XP, it is most likely faster in for business application.

7. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

Have you ever tried, i run 2kpro myself, and i have never had an issue with game play, as far as xp is, is just 2k with a lot of fluff. people have their opinions, and i have both os's on multiple pc's. xp is just more user friendly then 2k is. gaming is fine on either of em. and xp is a clock cycle hog

8. NetRyder

What part of it? My System Idle Process is almost always above 97%.

9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Windows 2000: NT 5
    Windows XP: NT 5.1

Make up your mind :p.

I would personally use 2k, lot less fluff, one of the best OS's MS has ever made, and it will stay that until MS stops making the OS's bigger./

10. Friend of Bill

Got the big picture now! I'll choose XP Pro because it supports Hyper Threading and the hardware in my new system will be the latest tech available. Thanks for offering the distinctions between the two OS's.:)

11. mikill

mikill _

pro for games? home for pansies? gezus dude, ur lame with that statement.

12. Friend of Bill

I guess XP Professional is for professional pansies.:D

13. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Yes I have tried before I bought XP Pro. Most probably the manufacturer's of the latest games have finally modified some of it's code to support 2k, but when I had it, some games didn't even respond when I tried running them.

14. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Guess I am a Pansy.

Support will last longer for XP Home and Pro rather than 2k.

15. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

XP is a minor upgrade of the code from 2k, mostly added the support from the 9x to NT. As Lee said XP is most likely going to have the longer service life then 2k. XP still has better support for games then 2k though 2k support as improved

16. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I like XP because it's pretty ...

:0

17. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

And that statement makes you sound even lamer...

18. NetRyder

Cool it guys [​IMG]

19. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I use XP and 2000 all day (both), and I'm voting XP Pro is the absolute best for everything. And yes, that statement was lame. XP Home is a great OS (I wouldnt have it cause i network within a domain).