2 questions about logon stuff

scsa20

Simonsoft Network
okey, I installed .NET Frame thingy off of windowsupdate.com and now I'm being forced to click on my user name to get access and I found out when I looked into the user accounts thingy I see "ASP.NET Machine A..." that has been added, so my first question is that is it alright to delete this account??

and another question is that whenever I'm away for awhile, windows just kicks me into the logon screen, is there away to prevent that from happening?? thanks :) (btw.. the OS is XP Pro SP1)

Go to User Accounts under the Control Panel, click on "Change the way users log on or off," and uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen." That should keep you from having to click your name to get on.

Go to System Properties under the Control Panel and select the Screensaver tab. Uncheck "On resume, display the Welcome Screen." This will keep Windows from putting you back on that screen after a certain amount of time.

As for the .NET account that Windows created, it is related to the update you downloaded. You probably didn't need the update, but it's not a big deal to have it or that account, so I just wouldn't worry about messing with it. So you know though, it isn't an actual account that users can access your computer with, it's an account strictly for the OS to use in certain instances.

well... I want to keep the welcome screen is just that I want it to auto log on as me (I know there's a way to do so, I just forgot how) and I don't know if it's safe for me or not to delete that one added account that was place there... and I don't have a screensaver on so that option isn't even checked.

*edited* okey, I think I found out got it set for auto login for me... let's just see what happens for not doing anything for awhile well happen.

Unchecking "Use the Welcome Screen" will not get rid of the Welcome Screen altogether, it will just automatically log you in upon startup instead of stopping at the screen for you to click your username. Try it out and then logout of your profile (don't restart)... you will be taken to the Welcome Screen from there.

You don't need to worry about that new account, but if you want to do something then I would either uninstall that specific .NET update, or disable the account in the Administrative Tools.

okey, but how do I stop windows from kicking me out into the welcome screen when I'm not doing anything, and yes, that one thing "On resume, display the Welcome Screen." is unchecked, but it keeps kicking me out into the welcome screen anyways :(

DO NOT DELETE IT!!!

It is an important part of the .NET framework.

What you need to do is go get XP Powertoys and "hide" those accounts.

its a subsection of Logon.

At this point you can also enable Auto-Logon of yourself.

hmm you r not supposed to delete it :/ i did it and didnt noticed anything bad?

I think I found out how to prevent windows from kicking me back into the welcome screen by turning off this one thing in the power options

I have had the same problem, when I set (check the box in tweakUI) under logon|autologon it only auto logs me on for 1 or 2 times, then back to the welcome screen. If I don't use the welcome screen i get the win 2k type of logon and logoff. I tried editing the registry under autoadminlogon setting it to 1, and again it only stays that way for 1 or 2 restarts. I didn't know what caused it, but i did install the .net update.

Got the same logon problem, no icons, just have to type me name.
Tried to thange in user accounts, but it already says use welcome screen.
Also, I did delete the "ASP.NET Machine A..." user.
So, how do I get the welcome screen back?

Marshal, when "use welcome screen" in checked in user accounts and you get the Win2k style logon nevertheless, that indicates in most cases that your logonui.exe is not working or the registry setting is pointing to another file that is no longer there.

Did you use or tried to use a custom welcome screen?

Damn... tried logon loader, but exited the appl. without apply/ok.
Guess it tried to do somthing after all. Thanx

Check this registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon

on the right side the entry UIHost should by default have the value

logonui.exe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back