2 harddrives 1 computer

X

xinside

I just recently bought a new harddrive. but it is only 30 gigs and I am buying alot of games. My old disk is kinda slow but it has windows on it installed and everything. How do I add it to my computer? I want it for extra storage space. Is there anyway I can add it and have it there for I can just store things on it? and when i need the files just go to my computer and have it be there? like the d drive? haha its hard to explain I guess. I just never did this before so I have no clue on how to do it. Also. I have a small case.. there is no more room to put the other HD inside.. would it be safe to just have it set down on the desk near the comp? I dont want to go on windows with this disk .. I just want it for I can store files and get to them when i need them.. like mp3s and such.. thank you..

Just be careful when you do and make sure you format it and partation it !!!

I'm the proud owner of a 120gb simple dynamic drive coz I forgot to partation it

I'm shocked that you don't have room for it in the case. Every case I've seen made in the last several years has had room for at least 2 drives. But if you really don't have room for it, you can always buy an external USB enclosure for it. Or you can buy metal brackets to install it in a 5.25 bay (a CD-ROM bay).

But double check. I'll bet you've got a drive cage that will allow another drive to be installed.

well normally i would have room.. BUT the HD i have now has a fan on it. cause my other HD burnt up so i bought a fan cause im paranoid hah.. this harddrive that I have is already formated and partitioned.. Infact it has windows XP on it.. setting the HD on the desk wont be a good idea? heh. so.. the wire that I have to the HD now.. the middle of the wire has a plug.. just plug the 2nd HD to that plug? then it will be done? when I startup to windows that HD will be shown in my computer like the D drive? dont I have to set the jumpers on the back of the HD or something?

Middle connection - new drive.

Yes you have to set the jumpers. Have a close look at the end of both. You should be able to figure it out.

You can change the drive letter if necessary when booted into xp.

I have the 30gb HD in there now. thats the new one. The drivers are set to master. In order to put the old HD I have in. The 40gb one. I have to set the jumpers on it to slave and plug it in the middle one right? but I have no clue where to put the jumpers on the old HD to make it slave. It doesnt say anywhere. Also theres words on it that says "slave - off".

If it says slave = off ... does that mean i cant make it into a slave? or something heh.. cause all I want is more space to put things on.. I dont want this to be a boot up device with an OS on it.. even though theres one on it now

most drives when left with no jumpers are automatically configured as slave.

will having windows xp installed on the disk im trying to connect mess anything up? would it still store files on the HD?

I'm also surprised that this new hard drive didn't come with an installation manual. You may want to check the manufacturer's website for specific installation details (like jumper settings - some can be set to "cable select").

I already did... and it didnt come with it cause i got it from a warehouse

- I doesn't matter where on the cable you plug the disks.
- If you put the jumpers wrong, the BIOS just won't find the disk. The Windows disk won't be disturbed.
- Just pulling the jumpers out to get slave is not a good idea. My WD takes that as master, my Seagate takes that as slave, so it's very different.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back