2 hard drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NLM, Apr 27, 2003.

1. NLM

NLM Guest

I just put in another hard drive. I cant smeem to get it working. All the cables are connected. I am at a lost any suggestions will help.

thanks

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

you have to set them up using the jumpers on the back of the drive as slave and master configuration if you have them on the same channel... or even otherwise...

I highly recommened that :)

3. NLM

NLM Guest

oh yeah here is the big problem. One of the hard drives uses a differnt size IDE cable. so I have 2 seperate ones. That may be causing the issue?

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

what do you mean by different size? the ide interface is all the same.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Different size??? There is just one size unless it's a 2.5" (laptop) drive or a Serial ATA. :confused:

6. NLM

NLM Guest

I have no idea. I am at work right now and I use a computer to play around with. I was adding another HD in it. It really is differnt. It is smaller. It is a dual processor HP I belive. This cable does not look like an IDE but it goes to the hard drive. Thats the only way I can connect it. I am at a lost and confused. I thought my work had top of the line stuff. I guess I can now say its ghetto.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

wel, no... it could be a serial-ata cable you're dealing with, if the harddrive is really new. is it much thinner than the regular ide ribbon cable?

8. NLM

NLM Guest

nope same size just differnt ends

9. NLM

NLM Guest

ok this cable goes from the mobo to the hard drive to the mobo again

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

:D that's a new one.

it shouldn't. ide cables generally have 3 connections on them. one end (sometimes blue) gets plugged into the motherboard. the other two are for two drives. the master gets plugged into the end connector and slave (if present) gets plugged into the middle connector. and the jumpers should be set accordingly (master/slave) on the corresponding drives.

11. NLM

NLM Guest

that what I thought. Oh well. I will let you know once I figure it out. Thanks for the help.

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yup. good luck.

13. Zedric

WTF is this anyway? Now I'm very confused. You don't have a camera you can take some pictures of this do you? It would be very interesting. :confused: :confused:

14. NLM

NLM Guest

Ok It a skuzzy drive (how ever you spell it) That would explain a lot. Now I have to see if there is a way to configure another hard drive.

Thanks for the help.

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

<-- knows nothing about SCSI. :(

16. Zedric

Aha a SCSI drive. That would need a SCSI controller... You mobo has one built in then? Nice. :)