2.8TB in a PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Jun 18, 2004.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

From Slashdot:
    Links:
    G5Jam
    Swift Data 2000

Madness :D

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

dam that would be a lot of space :p

3. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

7 hard drves; my word, and I thought two was enough. Wouldn't that create sound and heat issues?

Still, very appealing especially if it's in a G5 tower :D

4. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

i got 14 hdds in my server 12 120's and a 320 and a 40, LOL almost full too, you can never have enough storage you just need the power to use it like 2 enermax 420's

5. SPeedY_B

Just got two here, an 80 and a 120. Thought I'd never even need 200GB, but it's slowly filling up :\

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Damn! I have a 30GB drive on my laptop. Anything huge gets burned to CD. I've managed to start filling up this drive only after setting up a dual boot system with XP Pro and Slackware 9.1, and PearPC running Mac OS X 10.3
    There's no way I could get close to using even 1TB of space, unless I never deleted anything (sounds like the Gmail concept =P)

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

:eek: Jesus. A few years from now, we'll all be laughing at this thread about we just used 200 GB!

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

heh, my 8gig is almost full of my junk and downloads. My 120 is begging for more data with 100.82Gb free spce over 3 partions..

I dont seriousluy think I could use all that space at the moment

9. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

We have always thought that whatever amount of HDD space we had, it was way more than we would ever need. Then we went out and upgraded to larger HDD. Why? Because that enormous drive is now full. We started way back when with 80MB/100MB drives. We evolved to 20GB/40GB drives, then 100GB and 200GB. Every time we said the saaaaame thing, "I'll never use all that space". But we are natural "pack rats". We download a gazillion things and we throw out nothing. We install another gazillion and when the computer starts to bog down then we reformat and the vicious cycle starts again. :D

There is no such thing as enough HDD space. It's a myth. :p

10. SPeedY_B

Hehe, so true. My HDD history goes something like
    600mb -> 2.1GB -> 30GB -> 40GB -> 60GB (40+20) -> 140GB (120+20) -> 80GB -> 200GB (80+120).

I harvest too much crap though, I could easily clear a lot off stuff out and have MUCH more free space (Do I really need UT2004 taking 5GB? :p), I remember thinking I'd never fll that 2.1GB drive back in the day, heh.

11. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

12. SPeedY_B

I wouldn't waste your money.
    You could get an External USB2.0/FireWire drive for that, and use it with future notebooks and desktops.

If you must though, there are plenty of guides (such as this) around the net on how to slap a new hdd in there.

13. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

it was purley to save me from luggin around the external drive, but yeah i have a few guides downloaded. Doesnt seem too hard

14. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

wow. 2.8TB, that would be a video editing dream come true :d.

15. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

lol extra space would be nice... though.... I don't need any at the moment.... *schemes*...
    mooahahahaha...

16. SPeedY_B

Aah yes, but we all say we'll never fill our existing drives, I remember thinking a friends 2.1GB drive was over-kill... then we filled it ;p

17. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

Weellll, give it a few more weeks...well...month or something. Then, hopefully, I'll be starting my TV & Video Tech' course, so you know, we'll see :)