137gb cap on 200gb drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkrulz, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Ok, I'm aware that there is a cap on the limits of drives, and there are ways around it...

Now, I've done just about everything I possibly could, at least I think I did, in order to fix the issue. My steps include:

• My motherboard is the Asus A7V333, I believe Award Bios... I updated that correctly, it was updated in May. It should handle the 48bit support...
    • I have already gone through and done the entire Windows Update, I don't think there's anything else I can do with that.
    • I updated my VIA Drivers, just as a precautionary measure because I couldn't think of anything else
    • I also created the registry key "EnableBigLba" in the appropriate registry key.

I still am having no luck... is there anything else I'm missing? I haven't seen anything that says / doesn't say that my BIOS doesnt' handle 48bit LBA, has someone else had this same issue with a similar board?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

This is the microsoft guide on the registry hack. Just in case you haven't seen it.

3. Punkrulz

Damn, still a no go. Yeah I saw that, but I read it more in detail since I'm not tired... I did go and update Atapi, because that wasn't up to date. The registry DWORD value of EnableBigLba is already set to 1 in that key. I also reupdated my BIOS, still a no go.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Have you tried using some app from the manufacturer? They usually have apps to solve these things.

5. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

The 137GB cap is a pain in the ass. I remember seeing a registry tweak that fixes it, which isnt the one provided by microsoft. Ill look for it.

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

XP SP1 and/or 2000 SP3 was supposed to fix this, do you have it/they installed?

7. Punkrulz

Yep, XP SP1 is in fact installed. See if you can find that registry tweak for me... See, now there's an issue I came acrossed on my other forums. Someone had me go to the Disk Management and do a rescan of my disks... now, there was something there regardless of that: the other 50 some odd GB... the issue though is that it's on unpartitioned space...

Now when I try to install Windows, no matter what I do it won't find the other 50 GB, but while INSIDE Windows it picks it up as unpartitioned space. *Sighs*

8. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

ok i am not too sure if this is possable (dont know too much in this field) but cant you just creat 2 partitions of like 100gb on that 200gb drive??? or is it the physical hardware?

9. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

Try Partition Magic and resize your partition so that 50 GB on the end of the drive is gone, it'll be because the Windows setup program doesn't have the >137GB compatibility