11Mbps LinkSys Wireless Router vs. 54Mbps notebook

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

hi. I just recently bought a Linksys-b 11Mbps wireless router. I have comcast which is 100Mbps as connected (desktop) and I have a notebook that has a max of 54Mbps wireless. My inquiry is, would it be better if i also have a 54Mbps router instead of an 11Mbps? does the 11Mbps router slows down the connection of my 54Mbps notebook and i won't get the fastest connection compared to a router that has a 54Mbps (g-version)? since on advertisements, it says that a 54Mbps is 5x faster than an 11Mbps which is true by numbers but does it really matter? how fast is our actual internet speed anyway? Whew! :confused:

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

11mbps or 54mbps makes no difference when surfing the internet. your max internet transfer rate is anything between 256kbps and 4mbps anyway - that's less than half of the 11mbps your router.

However, if you want faster transfer between your notebook and desktop, then yes, you should get a faster router.

3. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

ok. now it is getting clear. whew! so internet access is totally different from a desktop to destop to notebook transfer rate.
    when it comes to transfer rate between the notebook and desktop, can i use a RJ45 cable hookup so that i could increase the transfer rate? both desktop and notebook is hardwire thru the router. :)

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

yep, if you want you can use the ethernet cable to transfer at 100mbps. although if you were to use either/or both methods of connection (cable/wifi) the internet bandwidth will be part of the total transfer rate which you would notice. (i.e. a 1mbps internet connection will be part of the 11mbps wifi/100mbps ethernet)

5. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

thanks for the info. :)

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

no probs :)

percy likes this.
  7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If they are allready hardwired through the router they are running at 100 Mbps and not even using the wireless at all.